Damn turn signals controls!!!

grandprix104

well my signal arm no longer works for the right-hand signal. To make the signal flash you must hold it in precisely a certain spot. It has stopped working before and used to work if the steering wheel tilt was in the farthest up position. I was wondering if any of you have had this problem and how big a PITA it will be to fix.

Also whenever i am signaling i get a strange creaking noise coming from under the passenger dash. (flasher?) does this mean its needs to be replaced?

If the turn signal flasher is getting loud than usual and the blinking signal light is not consistent anymore then I would go ahead and replace the turn signal flasher. It's just $2.00 at most autoparts store.

since the position of the steering column was having an effect on the signal I was wondering if maybe the wires inside were getting pinched inside the column. If that the case what is involve in removing the outer casing of the column so i can have a look inside?

I'm having the exact same problem with my turn switch right now, and here's what I discovered:

In order to get at it, you have to remove the steering wheel, then the first cover that covers the switch, etc. Not TOO difficult to do.

These (at least mine) switches are composed of two pieces of plastic that slide past each other held together by a pivot. I guess what happens over time is that slap develops in the pivot, and the switch contacts won't be precise. Replacing the switch is the only option. Priced mine out from GM: $160 CDN! :shock: and apparently it's a dealer-only item.

The guy at the dealer parts counter told me the wire loom that runs down the steering column is a bit of a pain to change, but when I had a look it didn't look impossible, but it could be tricky.

Hope that helps a bit.

what i figured :(

the prev. owner said that it was just some loose wires and he fixed it before i bought it but now its started again.

looks like i need to visit the junkyard again

If you can find a fairly new one, give 'er...

I asked my mechanic about that too, and he recommended me not to, and I can see his point.

Why bother with a used one that's just going to go on you in another year or so?

But, if you can find one that's only got a few kms on it... it would probably be a good idea.

yeah, ill prob just wait till i get some extra money (yeah right! :( ) and then go get a new one. Heck i barely even notice the problem anymore cause im so used to just holding it in place.

I know what that's like. It'll be strange when I finally get it fixed. It was like when my tranny was slipping: I was so used to shifting into neutral, then back into overdrive everytime I stopped that it felt WRONG to do nothing once it was fixed.

I really don't think it'll be that hard to change though. My mechanic swore up and down that I'd bring it to him in a hundred pieces if I tried it myself. But when I inspected it, it was a piece of cake compared to some of the ATMs and printers I work on. My mechanic's a money-monger anyways, does good work, but you have to watch him... :wink:

My car had this problem, just for left, right worked fine but when I wanted to signal left I had to hold it at just the right angle. I lived with it for about a year and a half and over 30,000 miles. Then I found out there is a factory recall on the wiperswitch, while I'm not entirely sure what was the problem (you can find some info out about it on http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm) when I had mine fixed (about 2 months ago, free of charge :D) it fixed my signal problem as well. So it is worth a try, should just cost you the time to wait at the dealer for them to work on your car. So call a dealer and mention that you believe your car has a factory recall campain out on it. They should ask for your VIN and confirm the recall. Hope that helps

I have this turning signal problem as well, but ive gotten used to holdin it in place for it to work,

Also watch out for this.... if your left turning signal doesnt work, and you have to hold it in place, make sure that when you are holding it, hold it upwards and towards yourself, DO NOT push the handle farther down (toward the ground)...wanna know why???..

IF you hold the turning signal switch too far down, the signal flasher on your dashboard will flash left (good), your front signal will flash left (also good)...BUT your REAR signal will flash RIGHT (NOT good). I got bitched at by a few people already, because I was changing lanes to the left but my turning signal was pointing to the right :oops: . At first I was like WTH??? Then I would say "I Swear I had my left one on". I checked it out at home and noticed this problem, and found the way to fix it (hold the switch Up and towards yourself).

I dont know if this is a problem with all cars, but thats what ive noticed with mine. So watch out! LOL

There expensive the actuall turn signal switch itself. And pretty easy to change if you have the steering wheel puller your gona need, i hated it i use to hold mine in place to make my brake lights work and left to signal work for a long time. until one day i was at a scrap yard and took 3 of them for 10 bucks.

You can pull out the switch some, and snap it apart at the pivot. Then clean the contacts on both halves and bend out the contacts a little bit on the top half. Then snap it back together, just don't lose the ball bearing!

It should be good as new. Cleaning the contacts removes the lubricating grease, but it works fine. I used dielectric grease on the contacts, but that doesn't give the same "feel" as a brand new switch. I haven't yet figured out what grease to use to get that brand new feel back, but it works so I haven't worried about it.