measuring dB

RobertISaar

got a scosche db meter for christmas and thought i would try it out.

94.7 db with the car off, factory 5 1/4" speakers,2 11 year old kenwood kfc-6964 in the back with one woofer dead(tweeter still works though), no amp, a 11 year old panasonic head unit turned up as high as it would go without distortion, and while playing Metallica: to live is to die.

isn't this a little up there for having no amp and using facory speakers?

by the way i measured it a couple of times for accuracy and i had it sitting on top of my armrest.

Guarantee ya that the scosche meter you have is very inaccurate.

Spend $20, $30, or whatever the local, reputible audio shop charges and have it metered on a respectable meter.

i didn't expect it to be very accurate, but i give it a decent rating. this morning i pushed 99.1 dB with Metallica: one and got the same 94.7 with to live is to die, so if its not accurate it at least gives reliable results.

I dont know why......but this thread reminds me of the time my friend farted into a termalb mic and pulled a 92db....LOL. :burnout:

I have never heard of anyone measuring a mostly-factory system before. I guess it at least sets a baseline for future upgrades.

I pulled like a 120.x with 4 Infinity speakers and a pyramid amp! LOL

I dont know why......but this thread reminds me of the time my friend farted into a termalb mic and pulled a 92db....LOL. :burnout:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

please tell me someone paid you to take that pyra-junk amp. :lol:

back to topic. you should go to a shop and have them meter it, just to see how accurate/inaccurate your schoche meter is.

please tell me someone paid you to take that pyra-junk amp. :lol:

lol I got it straight from JC Whitney!

• 3 weeks later...

ive got a handheld meter, i calibrated it using a 20 thousand dollar meter my dad has for work, and it is within 0.1 db of the expensive meter that i KNOW works and is super accurate. I hit 129.x db running very little power through my subs :P like 70 watts or less.