GTP , swapping out the TDC for a 3.1,3100 or 3400

ihateallmustangs

I'd like to turn my GTP into a daily driver. I drive way to much (about 500k or more) per week. I would like to yank out the 3.4 tdc and drop in a pushrod V6. Pretty much whatever one I can get my hands on. Now I read along time ago about a guy who put a 3.1MPFI into his fiero. He decided to swap in a 3.4TDC and claimed it pretty much all just plugged in.

any info on this?

My 250,000 km Z34 has a 3.4 TDC and its my daily driver.... :dunno:

A 3.1 MPFI should be an easy install, a 3100 or 3400 would physically bolt in as well, but could possibly require a swap to OBD 1.5 / 2. Swapping to a 3100/3400 motor brings you intake gasket and piston slap issues. Asides from the lack of a timing belt, and better alternator location, I dont see the overwhelming advantage over the 3.4 TDC

I drive way to much (about 500k or more) per week.

I'm no mathemagician, but I think that might be mathematically impossible.

With a '93 it should go pretty easy, I'd probably go 3.1 since it seems to me it might go a little better, but I'm not sure. Both cars shared the 4t60e that year, correct? I'd say if you got the engine and pcm you'd be on your way, but the engine wiring harness to the firewall bulkhead would probably make things easier. I'm guessing both harnesses are identical at the bulkhead.

i saw a 91-93 GTP in the wreckers with over 400k on it. :wink:

Yeah, but how many engines has it had :wink: I have had several mechanics at GM dealerships tell me that the LQ1 was the worst engine GM ever built along with the numerous Quad-4 varients

500k a week is totally possible because i do it :)

So your saying that you drive 500,000mi a week??

And what would be the point of the engine swap to save the original motor? or just want a more reliable motor?

Yeah, but how many engines has it had :wink: I have had several mechanics at GM dealerships tell me that the LQ1 was the worst engine GM ever built along with the numerous Quad-4 varients

And they can go fuck themselves.

And they can go fuck themselves.

Nawww, i'm pretty sure that's what they have wives for :willynilly:

My 93 z sees oil changes sometimes bi-weekly(3000miles), I drive ALOT. and my 3.4 has been nothing short of the most reliable car I've ever owned. The few problems I've had with it over the past 3 years have been common problems that any 60* is prone to, ICM, IAC, and one alternator in the past 75,000miles. Most mechanics that go on about how terrible it is probably haven't worked on it much.

that said, I'd wait till it blows up. then swap in something else.

assuming it is a 91-93 car a 3.1 will be mostly plug n play, as well as swapping the PROM chip

94-95 you should probably swap the engine harness to be safe along with the computer

And if it is a 91-93 GTP, and you are not too far away I'd consider buying it, then go buy a 3.1 car.

I'm no mathemagician, but I think that might be mathematically impossible.

He never said anything about miles....

I'm willing to bet he means 500km a week

Jamie

500k usually means 500 thousand, 500km would make sense then. but thats besides the point :lol: I still say keep up on maintenance, maybe do a bit of preventative maintenance right away

Thanks for the replys. Yeah its 500 kms per week ( sometimes more). I have had this GTP for awile now but still have it parked at the guys place I bought it from. BTW its a 95 B4U. Long story short it has 255,000kms on it , my olds is nearing the 320,000 mark probibly by the end of the week. My fear? The dreaded o-ring seal going. Possibley the timeing belt. Yes I would be doing the swap for reliability and ease of maintence. I supposed I could drive it till she blows.