sugegstions

MikeyT2007

Im looking at the idea of trying to do some mods to my car. I think i'd like to start with some appearance mods on the exterior. I was looking at some of the ideas that are mentioned on the main page here, some look pretty nice. I would also like to do some performance mods, like a new exhaust system at least. Any ideas anyone has are more than welcome. Ask me any questions you need the info for.

You all seem like a good group to hang with.

Mike

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=53877.0;attach=3551;image

He drives one like this :) If I were you my first mod would be bondoing the rocker panel holes closed, then fixing the power antenna.

We need more two Regals like this on here.

He drives one like this :) If I were you my first mod would be bondoing the rocker panel holes closed, then fixing the power antenna.

Agreed, fix, then mod. Next thing you know, your the next Q-ball, you have too much money invested in modding and can't afford to fix a car you can't afford to get rid of!

Jamie

new car? don't mean to sound like an ass, but I wouldn't spend too much time modding something that rusty, but saving for something better. however, if you are set on doing so, fixing stuff is always first priority, but then you can do things like tint, maybe cleaning up your engine bay, new wheels, and lowering.

some good ideas here. I do want to make this car look very nice. I know the rust spots on the rocker are a real eye sore. What is involved in bondoing them? I also have bad paint chips on a few spots too. Would a trip to the body shop be in order, or anyone with ideas on how to do these things myself. As cheap as possible, while being good quality. As for the antenna, to me thats another eyesore because I have satellite radio and never listen to the AM/FM.

If you want to fill in the rust spots and even the antenna hole do it right. Don't just fill it with bondo and go from there. Actually cut out the rust, cut a peice of sheet metal to fit and fill it in. Grind the welds THEN bondo over that just to smooth it out. That is what any compitent body shop will do, and its not that hard providing you have the tools and facilities for the job, even I've done it before.

Jamie

If you want to fill in the rust spots and even the antenna hole do it right. Don't just fill it with bondo and go from there. Actually cut out the rust, cut a peice of sheet metal to fit and fill it in. Grind the welds THEN bondo over that just to smooth it out. That is what any compitent body shop will do, and its not that hard providing you have the tools and facilities for the job, even I've done it before.

Jamie

GTP_MuNkY is right its a somewhat simple job i have done it once and seen it done a few times.

you can substitue welding for some of that crazy glue shit that i've seen on tv before. they are small spots to fix, and it should work out. the tools to cut metal pieces for those areas shouldn't be hard to come by. after that def think about suspension/rims. rims are always a good place to start and the visual enhancement is well worth it. if you don't use your antenna, at least force it back into its hole!

you can substitue welding for some of that crazy glue shit that i've seen on tv before. they are small spots to fix, and it should work out. the tools to cut metal pieces for those areas shouldn't be hard to come by. after that def think about suspension/rims. rims are always a good place to start and the visual enhancement is well worth it. if you don't use your antenna, at least force it back into its hole!

hmmmm, something along the same lines... not crazy glue... JB Cold Weld.... Its a bit of a stretch, but hear me out...

I build scale models as a hobby, a few years back I decided it would be fun to hack up a die cast and make it different. The model in question started out as a 4 door H1 Hummer, I changed it into a 2 door pick up model. To do so I had to make a new bed out of metal (otherwise paints wouldn't look the same going from metal to plastic... cause I wasn't a good painter at the time.

My point is, to build the metal parts I used this 2 part cold weld stuff, once it dried my plan was to sand it down and smooth out the rough edges with my dremmel tool. Who knows how many die bits later and one severly buggered up dremmel tool, it was done. When the stuff hardened it was like a rock. If you cut out the rusted areas you may be able to use that stuff to hold replacement panels in place, providied they are small of course...

As for the toold to cut the metal, dunno where your from but I would go to Canadian tire and rent an air chisel for bigger peices, or for smaller peices just some tin snips, they even sell the sheet metal there. Hardest part would be bending the sheets to fit the contours...

I just think filling the hole with bondo is the cheap easy and short term route

Jamie

i would really NOT recommend Bondo. if you going to do body work at least buy a decent filler. go to your local auto paint store and the dues there can point you in the right direction. also remember that filler should be no thicker than like 1/8 inch.

sounds like overall your cars body is in rough shape. rust, holes, paint chips... sounds like a full go over and repaint is in order. that can either be a ton of overwhelming work for a inexperienced person or a lot of $$$ at a shop.

and agreed. fix first, mod second.

welcome to the board!

I would really try and locate a set of GS Ground Effects for it. I cant tell, but it looks like you already have the correct front bumper, although IMO, I would try to locate the front end off of a 91-94. I think they look a lot nicer then the 88-90. Then possibly, lower it so it looses the monster truck stance. Although, if you plan on driving it in the winter, i know how nice it is to have that kind of ground clearance, so that may be a tough decision.