Digital dash question

jtmarten

Just got a digital dash to possibly install in my '94 Cutty 'vert. Is there a way to power it up to see if it works/displays properly without a full install?

Thanks much!

Jeff

i would think if you found the pinouts you should be able to find the power and ground pins, and use those to power it on :dunno: Ive heard people saying that it's hard to put it in a 94, but i didnt have any problems. there were a few things I had to guess and check, but nothing major. Just dont forget to wire in the "Check Engine" light, I did that and didnt realize it for over a year, after I blew the engine (although that wouldnt have helped) ! :willynilly:

Thanks for the info! Is there a physical 'check engine' light in the digital cluster, or will I need to add an additional light somewhere in the dash for it? I won't even be thinking of installing it until summer, so I have plenty of time to research everything I'll have to do in order to swap it. Even then I may not do it, but if I want to in the future it'll be good to have the cluster on hand now; I may not be able to find one later on.

theres a check engine light, but when you wire it in, there are two brown (i think) wires, one with a white strip and one without. I used the wrong one, and so i had no check engine light. i think the other was an extra ground that the 94s had or something

Aren't the digital Dashes a different shape than the newer style dashes? I thought the cluster from the newer ones were similar to 94-96 GPs in shape, more rounded than the older style.

Or am I just losing it?

Jamie

Aren't the digital Dashes a different shape than the newer style dashes? I thought the cluster from the newer ones were similar to 94-96 GPs in shape, more rounded than the older style.

Or am I just losing it?

Jamie

the cutty cluster changed in '95

....and fwiw:, you can simply power it on using a 12v power supply and a ground....

there are so many great forums on this site so you can just type ub3 in the search of ask me as i just did the conversion this year and it couldnt be more worth it. keep us updated

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

my current recommendation is to twin the connectors. take the actual digital UB3 connector and splice it into the wires of the harness for the original connector. that way you could swap clusters back quickly if there ever was a need.

the two phantom wires that the 94 has that the 88-93 don't are for the security light, and the airbag.

I would recommend adding lights to the UB3 for those.

the two phantom wires that the 94 has that the 88-93 don't are for the security light, and the airbag.

This summer, you'll help me tackle that :biggrin:

After you do that I think you should do a write up of that so that the rest of us with the UB3 in the 94's can do the same. I would like to see my air bag light and security light again. If you can take a few pic's, instructions are alway nice and simpler to undersand with pics.

actually I'll be in town next week. wanna do it then?????

on my 94 i got a connector from stockgp because i use the ub3 in the summer and my standard cluster in the winter, as for the lights i made the shift light the security light an there is an extra socket on the right side of the cluste in which you can run the airbag wire. works perfect for me. the only thing i saw no point for is the dim feature