89 Regal Elec. Problem!

Snakesk8s

Hi, I have a 89 Regal w/ a 2.8MPFI. I'm have a aftermarket stereo, two amps, and a 1 Farad cap w/ 4gage pwr wires.

My car seems thats it's losing power and getting power surgers!

My dig. dash, will all of a sudden , turn off and like reset and my stereo will too at the same time, and half the time the bat. light will come on.

And just the other day, the Service engine light came on too.

I guessed it was my amps etc. causing it so I unplugged them...

it seemed to get alittle better but whenever I go drive faster, it will do it.

I have no clue whats going on... this has happen for awhile but it's getting worse, i've added the second amp and 1 farad cap latley...

Any info would be GREAT!!!!! I'm driving to Mass (I live in NY) this weekend, and I hope my car wont DIE on the way, even w/out the stereo plugged in!

have you checked your battery's voltage while the car is running? If its under or around 13.0, have you alternator checked, I bet its having a hard time supplying your battery with enough juice to power your system

Robby

Can I check the bat. w/ a reg. voltage tester? I know it's a stupid question but I just want to make sure.... Also, I live in Walden,NY ... How close is that to you? Do you know of any groups/people that get together w/ their W-Bodys? Thanks for the info!

If the problem is with your alternator not being able to supply enough power, then upgrade with a higher amp alternator.

You can always get $17 battery/alternator voltage, load tester to check the load/condition of your battery and alternator.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=6317

I think they will give you free shipping on your $50 or more order.

You might find similar item from other local store/company in your area.

:? Make sure the battery cable is on tight? I had the EXACT same problems with another car I had. I had tried fixing everything I could ever think of fixing and it still got worse. Then one of my friends was poking around the battery and said my batt. cable was loose. I tightened that up, slapped myself in the face, and never had the problem again.

I just thought it was the Alt. too but I completely unplugged my amps... and the problem got better but it's still happens sometimes. Mostly when I am driving it hard..... Thanks for the help... I'm gonna go check the volts tomorrow morning! Hopfully I can make it to Mass... Atleast if I do I can change the Alt there if I need to!

Also, I have been trying to find a alt. that has more then 105amps... but I can't ... I heard you can have them rebuilt w/ a bigger amp. Like 150 -200.... I think I REALLY need it!

Thanks for the info!!

No loud music, thats gonna SUCK!!

change your alternator, your internal regualtor is fucked, TRUST ME

yes, you will have to rebuild, easy way to do is find a GM alt that is bigger in amps, doesnt have to come out of a w bod, al you have to doid this:

zip iff the pulley(with impack and a nail or screwdriver to stop from spinnin)

step 2 : remove ther 2 screws holding the 2 halves of the alt together, pullt it apart.

step 3 repeat the last 2 steps on the other alternator

step 4, take the front half of the alt from your car( the half behind the pulley so that it can be monted on your engine), and put it on the doner alt bottom half( the peice with the stator ,rotor and stuff).

step 5, replace the 3 screws to hold the 1/2s together, install the washer( important) install the fan, and then the pully( be very sure not to get it crooked or you will fuuck it up and your time will be wasted)

step 5, intall the nut to hold the pulley on (tight with an impact!! very important)

step 6, pin the alt to make sure there is no binding ansd whatnot

step 7 intall on car and test

i did this with a alternator from a olds ciera, you can use truct alts too, just make sure they are the same style, like internal regualter or external, and that they have same hook ups...other than that, swap mounting parts and your on you way, very simple

:? Make sure the battery cable is on tight? I had the EXACT same problems with another car I had. I had tried fixing everything I could ever think of fixing and it still got worse. Then one of my friends was poking around the battery and said my batt. cable was loose. I tightened that up, slapped myself in the face, and never had the problem again.

Yes check those cables. If the electrical system loses connection with the battery, the alternator will not know what to charge and WILL go into a full-fielding state. That could be the cause of your surges. Rglguy said your reg. is probably screwed. Its very possible, but check your connections and ALL wires coming from the pos. terminal of the batt. You might just have a chafed wire or loose connection. :) :)

Ok ... I'm in Mass... I changed my Alt. I just got a stock replacement one for now... I will worry about the higher amp switch later!

It seems better but I haven't run my system on high yet ....

Also, I got a couple of surges still but I haven't checked the bat. connections yet, I wil tomorrow... When I get back to NY I'm also getting a new bat. for it! THe one thats in there now is no big thing...

Also, in a freak case, 3 of 5 studs on my Front Right wheel broke off!!!! I was driving back to my friends house and the car was shaking ....

Got there and there was only 2 lugs/studs holding it on!

Thanks for the help...

To put new studs in, you'll need to loosen the hub, dont take it off, just loosen it. Its only 4 bolts, all accessible from the back of the Hub. Loosen those, then rotate the assembly around, and you will be able to put new studs in. Just a heads up, cuz I had to change some this year

Robby