Fix 1996 Cutlass or forget it?

red95cutlass

Fix the 1996 Olds Cutlass or buy new car?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Fix the 1996 Olds Cutlass or buy new car?

I have a 1996 Red Cutlass Coupe with 146,000 miles that has been my baby since '97. Body and interior is in great condition. New tires. New tranny at 80,000 miles. I have noticed that antifreeze is leaking into my oil. We can't really afford a new car but, we will have to stretch it if we have to. If I try to sell it I think I won't get anything for it. I have 4,000 into the stereo alone. I took it to my mechanic and he says I should stop driving it right away and get ready to put in a new engine. My goal was to get 200,000 miles out of this one.

1. Where can I get a low mileage 3100 in Atlanta GA?

2. Should I get a crate engine?

3. Should I get my engine rebuilt? (mechanic said not may people do that anymore.)

4. Should I scrap it and get a Honda?

5. Is it worth putting 3,000 into a 11 year old car?

Any input you guys can give will help alot. I have to come up with an answer by Monday.

Thanks,

D

You can see my car at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787849

Ok you need a LIM gasket. If you brought it somewhere, its only a $500 job, or if you did it yourself, its $100 in gaskets. Its not a big deal to get it fixed, as it is a common problem. Your mechanic is a moron. Just fix the gasket and do 2 oil changes, and youll be fine.

5. Is it worth putting 3,000 into a 11 year old car?

where do you get this from?

I truly feel the way you do. The reason the mechanic thinks it will cost so much is because I have been driving it this way for a month and I could have compromised my engine bearings. I am leaning toward just getting that gasket replaced. I tried to replace that before and I couldn't get the fuel injectors installed properly. I may try again if more feel this way. Thank you for your input.

Change the gaskets as stated above, and see how the car does. If the bearings are shot, then you'll find out pretty quickly, and at that point, then I'd start looking for a new engine. But, why not try the cheaper fix first before going for the whole shhtin' match?

I may take you up on that! I would rather have the experience and gradification of doing it myself - especially with people that know what they are doing! Please let me know if you would really like to help. I would appreciate it!

Sell some of the audio stuff? I know it sucks, but that might help the finances. It looks like an amazing car. And trust me, we've all been here...and a few thousand is a lot, but is worth putting into a car you've taken care of since 97.

fix it there is NO reason to "scrap it" simple repair mine has had 2 intakes done in 99,000 miles your mechanic wants to "make you an offer" on it after you give up on it "cause its not worth repairing" lol :cool:

fix it. i had the same prob with my 96 saturn sl2. i replaced the head gasket,and the main bearings and it turned out just fine. :burnout:

x2 on fixing it- it's worth it!