Question about solder fix for instrument cluster

GPdriver1986

I have a base analog instrument cluster (no tach, no oil,no battery). How do I do the solder fix to shut off my coolant light? I see two chips with 14 solder points but they are not covered in a laquer. Has anyone done this fix on their base analog cluster.

Is your coolant light "ON" all the time on your gauge display? If that is your problem, our 1994 Pontiac Grand Am exhibited this problem even though the plastic coolant reservoir (overflow) is above its low level mark.

The problem was just the connector/switch on the plastic coolant reservoir (overflow) and I have to clean the connector and made sure it is connected tightly and cleaned out the inside of the coolant reservoir (overflow). Now, the light did not show up anymore.

I can't really take out the bulb because i'm getting the car certified and if the mechanic notices he will charge me to get it fixed.

If you want the car get certified, why would you disable or bypass some sensor. The error would still be there and I assume when they run the scan tool, it will show up that problem.

If the coolant temperature light is "ON" all the time, could it be the sensor is bad and just needs replacement or just the connector/wires?

Well, first make sure all the basics are covered. If you indeed find out it is in the cluster, this is what I did to resolve my issues. I had the SES light on, check guages light on, and low fuel light on at all times. I resoldered every joint on the back of the cluster. This solved my SES light. However, the others were still active. I resoldered the areas where the indicator lights connect to, and all worked great????? I cannot explain it, but they have worked perfectly for the past six months. Come on at the key turn, then go out. At least something to try.