94 - 96 GP / Cutlass Gauge Cluster Question

dhs1223

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the gauge clusters used on 94 - 96 Grand Prix / Cutlass when it has either the 3.1 or 3.4 DOHC motor???

I guess my question is: If I have a gauge cluster from a 1994 thru 1996 GP / Cutlass with a 3.1 litre engine, will it work in a 1994 - 1996 GP / Cultass with the 3.4 DOHC engine.

Thanks in advance.

Same cluster no matter the engine. The only time you'd run into a tach irregularity is whenever you'd get a cluster from a 4 or 8 cylinder car (and even that doesn't matter in this day of DIS ignitions) but since they all had sixes, it's a moot point.

Actually, now that I think about it, I put an 89 Quad 4 cluster in my Iron Duke-equipped 85 Grand Am and it worked without a hitch, so there's further proof that a tach will work as long as you stick to the same # of cylinders...

Thanks, I had to ask the question, as sellers on Ebay usually reference the motor of the car a cluster comes out of, therefore, I thought there might be a difference, but thanks for clarifying that there isn't one, (other than console vs. column shift)

Take care.

Long story short, I currently have the car here in Georgia. I am Canadian and someday may move back to Canada. I would want to take the car with me and would consider swapping out the gauge cluster with a Canadian one that would have kilometers as the prominent display vs. mph.

There was a guy on Ebay from Canada selling a GP cluster from a Canadian car, so I just thought I would investigate what might be possible. Thanks for asking.

An option you might keep in mind is if you ever do end up doing it, why not just go to the wreckers pull a cluster there and take it apart and remove the overlay then swap them? if thats even possible, I've yet to take mine appart that much. I think q-ball has taken his right apart though. Thats what I would do in your shoes, GPs are everywhere in the wreckers around here so finding a cluster wouldn't be that hard I should think. And the part is thin enough you could slide it into your tool box... FREEBIE!!! (aside from the time)

Jamie

*disclaimer* this message does not encourage the act of stealing from the wreckers, when your there its only their right to steal from you when you pay through the nose for a part!

oh, and on the GP clusters, besides the redlines being different as tony stated, the 3.1 cluster has a low oil idiot light, the 3.4 one does not.

? really? I have a 95 3.1 and 95 3.4 cars to sompare... so I'll check that out!

In any case... I would not bother with the incorrect e-bay one. it will light red, after all.

a close second, if you must, would be the regal 95-96 cluster, which is is the same cluster with a third variation of a faceplate, and it lights up in more of a blue color.

someday you will see a true 95-97 Canadian specs CS cluster. the only difference I am aware of is the redline at this moment. give me a week and I will double check.

So basically... I would wait.

You are probably right, I'll just wait, maybe on my next trip to Canada, I will check out the local yards and hopefully get lucky.

Thanks for everyones comments.