INERTIA SWITCHES?

gmrulz4u

Do our older W-Bodies have what's apparently called an "inertia switch"? Something to do with cutting off the fuel delivery...

The reason I ask is because I changed my battery in a garage the other day and the next day my buddy calls me telling me that when I pulled out and left, there was this little black box with a red switch on it on the garage floor that he said he believes is the "inertia switch" or whatever...

I have been driving a week without it, is it even important to have or did it even come from my car somehow?

PS it's an 89 Cutlass Supreme International 2.8L

Inertia switches have a small ball inside, so that if the car is in an accident the switch shuts off the fuel pump when the ball gets knocked out of place. As far as I know w-bodies don't have them, and they are typically located near the fuel rail.

here's a link incase it's needed later http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/InertiaSwitch.html

I can confirm. My 3100 still ran great even though I was in a ditch deeper than the width of my car... car was resting on it's side mirror.

:lol:

my sister's Taurus has that..it's in the trunk on her car though..

Yeah, it's Ford only.

Nope, a couple other manufacturers use it as well, I know the new Kias have it. Usually monted in the trunk or somewhere in the pass compartment, mounted to the body so it picks up a large shock like an accident better.

If i had it i would have deployed/shut off what ever it does when i his a wall of dirt in the ditch at 35mph. It stayed running just backed out had to change front driver tire and drove away.