Whats a 3100 made of ?

godofthunder

Guest TurboSedan
Heads are the caps for the pistons, the domes with the valves and lifters and springs. Just under the valve covers.

Of course if you have an overhead cam or double overhead cam motor...it also houses the camshafts (minus the lifters).

the lifters are actually in the block not the heads.

joshua

Call me dumb but didn't they use iron just because it can take more of a beating at higher temeratures? Therefore making the cars "more reliable" in that sense?

On a similar note, the Lexus' all aluminium DOHC makes a lot of clicking noises while cooling down, after driving, while the Oldsmobeast makes none. Could this be related to the Iron vs. Aluminum thing? I had a feeling it might just be oil draining into the oil pan or like a pipe somewhere on the exhaust shrinking back to size...but i was curious anyway.

Call me dumb but didn't they use iron just because it can take more of a beating at higher temeratures? Therefore making the cars "more reliable" in that sense?

Iron is more durable in general, and yes, they can take more of a beating at higher temperatures since the heads and block will have the same rate of expansion. Iron heads on an iron block are mainly used in severe duty applications such as 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks. Some people also prefer them on super or turbocharged engines because they're more resistant to potential damage from high pressure and preignition.

On a similar note, the Lexus' all aluminium DOHC makes a lot of clicking noises while cooling down, after driving, while the Oldsmobeast makes none. Could this be related to the Iron vs. Aluminum thing? I had a feeling it might just be oil draining into the oil pan or like a pipe somewhere on the exhaust shrinking back to size...but i was curious anyway.

Could be, although I thought those noises were usually the exhaust.

Iron is more durable in general, and yes, they can take more of a beating at higher temperatures since the heads and block will have the same rate of expansion. Iron heads on an iron block are mainly used in severe duty applications such as 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks. Some people also prefer them on super or turbocharged engines because they're more resistant to potential damage from high pressure and preignition.

Could be, although I thought those noises were usually the exhaust.

Cool.....thanks for the clarification