How would I replace the drivers side rear quarter panel?

red95cutlass

Is it something I can even do myself? Is there any welding involved? I found that the panel has rusted out underneath the bumper cover. Any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

D

It will definitely need to be welded in. It can be easily removed though. You will something pictured above, a grinder, to remove old welds and prepare surface to accept the new panel. Finally you would have to weld a new panel into place. It is definitely the right way to do it if you have a hole in the panel from rust. If it's just surface rust, I wouldn't replace the entire panel.

One thing to note when replacing the entire quarter panel is that body is being stressed when so much metal is removed and chances of something breaking are increased. I wouldn't be surprised if you crack the rear window while doing this.

There are however, other methods of rust repair. You can cut out all the rusted metal and weld/rivet in a patch. Then use body filler to smooth it out.

Thanks guys. The problem is that the screws holding the bumper to the underside of the of the panel is what I cant remove because it is all rusted together. I accidentally pushed my thumb through the body panel just below where the bumper covers the quarter panel. I will have to do as you guys suggested and rivet a replacement piece and fill it in to make it look good again. I was hoping it would be much easier. Thanks.

D