Rear Sear Conversion

DRGrocho

I am thinking about trying to make my rear seats fold down. There are a few caveats though. First, I must, at all costs keep the original upholstery (oh, how I love that LTZ embroidered on the seat). Second, I have seen how the seats fold down on some w-bodies, with just the upright part moving, and I don't want that. I want my seats to fold like in SUV's where the bottom cushion flips down to touch the floor and the upright part folds down.

Ok, so, has anybody done this? Are any W-bodies like this from the factory? How much room is there underneath that rear seat? Pictures?

Ultimately, I would like to build ported fiberglass boxes under the rear seat ( newfangled 2" thick subs, reduce rear leg room, lift the seat slightly, overflow into the trunk if needed) if there is any room at all under that seat. But, step one is to get that seat mobile so I can have more storage, and nothing blocking my subs from the main cabin in the near term.

Thanks guys

you may be able to have the bottom cushion fold forward by replacing the two mounting bolts for a pair of extended hinges. However getting the upper seat to fold down will take some customization. I would first check if the seats would even fit in that position.

Lumina's have a pass thru cut into that steel thing behind the rear seats...however I don't think there was ever a "armrest" pass thru or anything in first gen Luminas?? Hell the back seat dosn't even have an armrest lol...

And the rear seat bottom is just a piece of foam lol..doesn't even have any springs in it, cushion sits right on the floor board....as for the rear part of the seat laying down I don't think it would fold forward..it'll hang up on the rear interior panels on the side (armrest and ashtrays, etc)