Door handle assembly broke :(

BuickMan

I pulled the driver-side door handle and I heard something snap. Then I heard something fall to the bottom inside the door. Now the door handle flops around and I cant open the door from the outside. But the door can still be opened from the inside. Did the door handle spring break or is it something more serious? Is this an easy fix or will have to take the whole door apart to fix it? Its the vertical type handle that sits directly above the lock

i always thought it was strange that this is such a common problem, yet i've never had it happen. now that i write this i should assume one will break next time i open the door.....

They are make of weak white metal... WHY?

Probably because it was the cheapest way.

I pulled the driver-side door handle and I heard something snap. Then I heard something fall to the bottom inside the door. Now the door handle flops around and I cant open the door from the outside. But the door can still be opened from the inside. Did the door handle spring break or is it something more serious? Is this an easy fix or will have to take the whole door apart to fix it? Its the vertical type handle that sits directly above the lock

Not hard to fix at all, You can find replacement ones on Ebay, thats where I got mine when the driver's side broke. Just open the door, take the plastic cover off that sits right behind the handle, the handle will come off, pop the new one on and your good to go. Don't overtighten the top nut that is on the cover, or you will dent the handle like I did, not a big deal but kinda annoying. You may have to adjust the linkages if the door wont open

MAke sure that it moves the latch to open befor you close it. I didnt and had to pry my door open cause the latch didnt pull far enough to open. I bought one new $70 they aint cheap(but mine was the passenger door.

I got a brand new one off Ebay for $22 including shipping- fairly inexpensive. My drivers side door handle was broken when I bought my TGP, I replaced the drivers side handle and made sure to lube up all the linkages and levers really well on both door handle assemblies. Both door handles now work like new! :mrgreen:

i always thought it was strange that this is such a common problem, yet i've never had it happen. now that i write this i should assume one will break next time i open the door.....

That's how my Beretta's door handle broke. I posted something about how I was surprised they hadn't broke, and the VERY next morning the driver's side broke.

any of the w body door handles its all about keeping them lubed up and adjusted right .

to make them last longer :cool:

Exactly. :cool:

I got a brand new one off Ebay for $22 including shipping- fairly inexpensive. My drivers side door handle was broken when I bought my TGP, I replaced the drivers side handle and made sure to lube up all the linkages and levers really well on both door handle assemblies. Both door handles now work like new! :mrgreen:

The one I got off Ebay was a GM doorhandle. :dunno:

When did you get it? the rteasojn i ask is i was outbid on a nos one a few weeks ago..,..

I bought mine in September. So, no I didn't steal it from ya. :lol:

My aftermarket door handle SUCKED ASS. It was flat, instead of curved like the Beretta's door handles are. And it made the lock cylinder on the driver's door tight as hell.

But oh well. It's better than getting in through the passenger side all the time.