Headlight relay - where is it?

evildaveprime

Hi, y'all.

I have a 1994 Lumina Z34. She's served me well over the years, but she's getting a little long in the tooth.

Let me tell you about my problem, and maybe some of you fine folks can help.

Last week, I was out working on a job site, and I had to run out to get some supplies. So off to the store I went. While on the way, I noticed that my headlights, fog lights, and dash lights were completely dead.

Wonderful.

Checked all the fuses in both fuse boxes, and everything looks good.

Called the parts store to price a headlight switch, and they told me it would be about $165, and they'd have to order it.

No way, dude. I went to the junkyard and got not 1 but 2 headlight switches. It's the kind that's on the dash between the steering column and the HVAC vent.

When I swapped the old one out, it didn't work. So I did the other one. No dice.

The dome light dimmer switch works fine on both, and the amber light on the headlight button is on.

Then I bought a repair manual (Haynes - yeah, I'm cheap) and found the wiring diagram. According to the diagram, there should be a headlight relay somewhere in the dash, but I've had no luck locating it.

Can anyone tell me where it's located so I don't have to shell out $500 to someone to take 5 minutes to install a $20 part?

I don't see a relay in the wiring diagram - wtf? Did someone slip up @ GM or something? Here's what I'm lookin' at.

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

Hy! I nearly had the same problem with my 1990 Cutlass. My Headlights were dead - only the parkinglights worked. Thought it was the Headlightswitch- bought one for €150,- - I swapped the old one - nothíng happend. :confused:

I wanted to yunk the car :evil: - Then I looked at the wires - I found the problem. It was the wireconnection that´s underneath the steeringwheel on the right side ( it had a bad conntact) - fixed it. now the lights work again. :biggrin:

yeah those switches get pretty warm. But looking at the NAPA website, there is a headlight relay for the car..... You can try looking at the fuse boxes under the hood, or maybe under the dash. Not really sure where GM puts things