cutlass HEATING PROBLEM

chevy1

Hi

please help me!

there is a winter now but my cutlass (supreme international '89) loose heating!!!!

I have an automatic A/C steering

everything works (blower, swithing a mode of working - bilevel, upper, defrog etc)

but when I try to change temperature - I press a cold/warm button - digits on display changes but temperature IS STILL THE SAME!!!!!

Is your engine running cool? Like below 1/4 on the guage? If so I'd look into replacing the thermostat.

That's a good place to start.. My cutty is doing the same thing.. It warms up A LITTLE when I hit the parking lot at work after my 20 or so minute trek each morning.. I tried the cardboard thing.. Yea no that didn't work..

Try the TStat.. Cheap and easy fix.. I was thinking of trying to clean the heater core (But I dont even know that it is dirty)

In my 89 Cutlass I had the same problem after changing the thermostat. There's a small electric motor that controls the hot/cold mix door in the ductwork of the heat / AC. You can check this by turning the car 'ON' (don't start it) and moving between hot and cold. Under the dash (passenger side) you should hear the door motor make a buzzing noise for a few seconds while it moves the door.

Just a couple of bolts holding it in and a wire harness. Cake to change, just have to find it. :)

Edit: I could only find this motor at the JY. Too expensive at the stealership and none at any of the part stores.

Thanks,

Tom

In my 89 Cutlass I had the same problem after changing the thermostat.

exatly!

I just change a thermostat (a new AC Delco one) and coolant fluid and IT HAPPEND!!!!

no way to change a temperature!!!

Maybe the heater core is dirty or clogged? Wait till the T-stat opens (upper radiator hose gets hard) and feel the heater core hoses, is one high pressure and the other isn't? Either way, you can pull the hoses off the heater core and blast each side with the hose (I know, its cold out, oh well), its sometimes amazing how much gunk will come out of them. Its at least a free thing to try...

probably one of two things:

There is some air in the coolant system from after changing the thermostat. It is necessary to bleed air from the system with the bleeder screw on the thermostat housing

OR

Failed climate control unit. One symptom I had in the past of a bad climate control unit is loss of temperature control. Loss of fan control has happened to me too. If you have a junkyard local, try to get one from a 1993-1994 Olds Cutlass supreme, as these tend to be more reliable. They're redesigned internally, but wiring is the same, so you can use it.

• 4 weeks later...
There's a small electric motor that controls the hot/cold mix door in the ductwork of the heat / AC. You can check this by turning the car 'ON' (don't start it) and moving between hot and cold. Under the dash (passenger side) you should hear the door motor make a buzzing noise for a few seconds while it moves the door.

Edit: I could only find this motor at the JY. Too expensive at the stealership and none at any of the part stores.

Thanks,

Tom

exactly - this electric motor was damaged!

for your information - this part is the same like in Pontiac Transport / Lumina APV 1990-1996

I have changed it from APV '92 and it works wery well