RKE module trouble

joey b

My RKE does not work and I picked up a module from the yard today. I installed it and it still doesn't work. When I touch the wire to ground nothing happens. Is there a certain fuse I should check? Is there any way to find what may be causing the trouble?

Youre positive on the ground, correct? It took me some time to hit the ground "just right: so I could program the Fob I got from a Monte Carlo.. Just a thought.. But if neither of your modules are TRW ones, then chances are, they could need to be resoldered..

..A touch OT, but is there any way to extend the range of these fobs? Cause sometimes, mine wont unlock until I point the remote at transponder, pressing it to the car! And I recently replaced the battery..

Both are TRW. To add to the trouble the one that I picked up is from a 94/95 Grand Prix and when I connect it there is always voltage at the rear, and only the rear interior lights (on the convertible). Any insight?

picked up yet another today to see if I could get one that works. Unfortunately I did not take note that my car has 2 harnesses and the one I just picked up can only recieve one. I'm about to give up. BTW, in those photos I can't really see what has to be resoldered. Do you have to completely remove the circuit board from the box? If so how do I do that? I don't want to break the connectors that lead to the harness.

Unfortunately I did not take note that my car has 2 harnesses and the one I just picked up can only recieve one.

I believe those turn on the dome light when you unlock the car. That's what the 2nd harnass is for. gnat knows for sure.

I believe those turn on the dome light when you unlock the car. That's what the 2nd harnass is for. gnat knows for sure.

Yup, that's what it's for. I think the pinouts on the main connector don't match so you can't use the 2-plug RKE receiver on a car that only has 1-plug and vice versa. I could be wrong on that though, it's been over a decade since I last looked into it.

Yup, that's what it's for. I think the pinouts on the main connector don't match so you can't use the 2-plug RKE receiver on a car that only has 1-plug and vice versa. I could be wrong on that though, it's been over a decade since I last looked into it.

I tried a 2 plugger in a 1 plug car. Doesn't work.

Well, I left it plugged in just for good measure and although it cannot be programmed, when the ignition is in the "run" position it repeatedly triggers the trunk release. :lol: At this point I tried to program it, but was unsucessful.

Any tips on exactly what to resolder? Those pictures really don't do any justice.

That's right. The faulty connections can't be seen.

When I do them, I strip the clear rubbery layer off the circuit board using lacquer thinner (paint stripper would probably work better), then I dab rosin paste flux on each joint and heat it up with the iron till they turn bright and shiny.

• 2 weeks later...

What wire is for the antenna?

The antenna doesn't have an external wire. It's the bent metal bar attached to the top circuit board inside the RKE module.

Is there any way to get this LONGER? Cause sometimes my RKE doesnt work, even if Im 5 feet away.. And yes, I did replace the battery a month or so ago.. I'd like to mod a sat. radio antenna or somethig for RKE..