Changing T-Stat?

OldsmoBeast

Hey everyone. I got a 180 degree T-Stat (I was gonna go with a 160 but i figure 180 should do it for now) and it struck me as being kinda cheap. it was like $8.99 and it's a "motorad" stat that i got at Canadian tire. its the only brand they had. Anyone tried motorad's stats before? do they suck?

Other question: if i'm going to have to drain the coolant from the engine, can i keep the old coolant instead of having to buy&mix new coolant? and will my oil drain pan be big enough to hold all the fluid?

Thanks everyone

YK

You shouldn't have to drain anything. Yes, you'll spill about a cup to about a pint of coolant when unbolting the thermostat, but you can top that off after the install. Change it out with the engine cold (obvious reasons) and you shouldn't have a problem! Best of luck!

- RedFox340

You shouldn't have to drain anything. Yes, you'll spill about a cup to about a pint of coolant when unbolting the thermostat, but you can top that off after the install. Change it out with the engine cold (obvious reasons) and you shouldn't have a problem! Best of luck!

- RedFox340

I was under the impression that you were supposed to drain it. Well if i'm going to spill that crap, should i mix the coolant with water when i put it back in, or just put the straight stuff? other question is is it alright for me to spill that crap in the engine compartment?

I was under the impression that you were supposed to drain it. Well if i'm going to spill that crap, should i mix the coolant with water when i put it back in, or just put the straight stuff? other question is is it alright for me to spill that crap in the engine compartment?

No. You can drain it out if you're going to change out all the fluid. You can (if desired) to mix 50 / 50 if you like for correct measurements, but if not that much spills you can just add in straight coolant. And don't worry, you can let if drip over the engine bay; afterwards you can power wash the engine to clean it off. Just avoid the obvious electronics / ignition coils for long periods of time with the compressed water.

- RedFox340

I've been wanting to change my thermostat to a 160 deg. Where do I go to get one. (part numbers). are all t-stats generic or is there a special one that goes with our cars. Where at in the engine bay do i change it and how? I know i sound stupid, but, O well.

I've been wanting to change my thermostat to a 160 deg. Where do I go to get one. (part numbers). are all t-stats generic or is there a special one that goes with our cars. Where at in the engine bay do i change it and how? I know i sound stupid, but, O well.

All i did was go to the parts counter at Canadian Tire (You could just as well go to Autozone) and i asked what they have for thermostats for my car... I should have asked about the grand prix because they might have had colder ones for prixs but she asked me the engine size and then she said that the factory recommends 195 but they have both 195 and 180. Simple as that.

No. You can drain it out if you're going to change out all the fluid. You can (if desired) to mix 50 / 50 if you like for correct measurements, but if not that much spills you can just add in straight coolant. And don't worry, you can let if drip over the engine bay; afterwards you can power wash the engine to clean it off. Just avoid the obvious electronics / ignition coils for long periods of time with the compressed water.

- RedFox340

Ok thanks...i'm probably going to do it tonight.....Now i'm just curious as to how i determine whether to put in Dex-Cool or just straight antifreeze....ah the problems of life...

Ok thanks...i'm probably going to do it tonight.....Now i'm just curious as to how i determine whether to put in Dex-Cool or just straight antifreeze....ah the problems of life...

Oh... we've had this discussion before. I wouldn't change to Dex-Cool unless you have it installed since day one. Green with green, Dex with Dex; DO NOT MIX. Mixing the two with create a brown sludge since there chemically react with one another. There's hasn't been any substantical proof on which is the better coolant; stay with what you've got.

- RedFox340

I have a "Motorad" thermostat and it works fine for me. I also have a "Motorad" radiator cap and it's fine as well.

You can reuse your coolant as long as it's clean. If your rad needs a flush then you're better off flushing it the same time you replace your thermostat.

BTW: You should replace your rad cap the same time you replace your thermostat. It's inexpensive and it'll take you 2 seconds.

Hey everyone. I got a 180 degree T-Stat (I was gonna go with a 160 but i figure 180 should do it for now) and it struck me as being kinda cheap. it was like $8.99 and it's a "motorad" stat that i got at Canadian tire. its the only brand they had. Anyone tried motorad's stats before? do they suck?

Other question: if i'm going to have to drain the coolant from the engine, can i keep the old coolant instead of having to buy&mix new coolant? and will my oil drain pan be big enough to hold all the fluid?

Thanks everyone

YK