sealed beams

Bri-Guy-GA

I seem to have gotten myself into a bit of a pissing match with some joker in Ebay selling HID bulbs for first gen GP's. I told him they wont fit in these cars and he keeps claiming they do. I know my 95 GP takes sealed beams. Are there any first gen W bodies that used 9005/9006 bulbs from GM? I would prefer to know before responding to this jerkwad.

I think pretty much all of them did. The mini-quads where 9005/9006 bulbs, but they were in a sealed unit.

thats what I thought. Did the 89-91's have 9005's since they appears to be the composite style?

Sealed Beam headlights are made of glass with the filament sealed inside the lens, and when they burn out, you replace the entire unit.

Composite headlights are made of plastic, and when they burn out, you can replace the filament without removing the lens from its housing.

yeah, although alot of people still buy the H4251's and H4252's? Not sure about the numbers but they still buy the actually sealed unit unstead of just the bulb. You still need to re-aim it, you just gotta wait for the silicone to dry.

yeah, although alot of people still buy the H4251's and H4252's? Not sure about the numbers but they still buy the actually sealed unit unstead of just the bulb. You still need to re-aim it, you just gotta wait for the silicone to dry.

So did any W bodies come with other than sealed beams, or do you need to modify them?

Not every W came with sealed beams. To change bulbs on sealed or non-sealed, you dont need to modify anything. Only the ones with the mini-quads. The Cutlass and the Grand Prix. All other W didnt have sealed beams, meaning there was no seal to break in order to change the bulb. You just take out the bulb and put another one in, that simple.

The mini-quads, you have to break the seal between the bulb and the housing. Once this is done, you can change the bulb, but you need to "re-seal" it, if you will, by using some silicone between the bulb and the housing, the same spot where you had to break the seal to change them.

popped mine out by breaking the seal, replaced bulb and added some silicone. been fine all summer. So, the guy is kinda right, they do fit, but not just a simple unscrew one bulb, screw in another