Running power, ground, and rca cables for amp...

Bake82

I've had my amp and sub in my car a while now, and was looking at the install today, and I noticed that my power, ground, and RCA's are all going through the same hole under the rear seat. I thoguht I've read in the past that it is NOT a good idea to have the RCA's and power, ground cables close to each other until yoyu get to the amp, and even then not that close.....anyways should I separate the wires or leave them as they are? any help would be good, thanks...

EDIT: I should add I'm only running a PG 180.2 brigded, giving like 180 rms to the sub, aswell as only 2 volt preouts on my head unit...if that matters

well if you can hear any line noise then it would be a good idea. I'm running 300w and 1.8V preouts beside eachother the whole cabin length with no problems. However I would predict it would bad if i drew more power.

It might be overkill but it wont hurt

If you don't notice any noise at the moment, then I would leave it as is. Don't try fixing something that's not broke! :wink:

Here's how the cables are run in my TGP. The Rca's are grey, speaker lines are blue, everything runs in to the center console (EQ is located there). The main power cables and the remote turn on are ran down the drivers side.

http://www.lukez34.com/theride/tgp/images/P1010006.JPG

the last time I had a system in my car, I had put a switch on the remote turn on to turn the amp on and off if and when needed. The police around here didn't like loud systems. :) :) :)

You should be able to find a grommet to go through. i had trouble finding a good spot, so i just drilled a hole near the steering column.

I have some pictures and diagrams of my install that will show the firewall grommet for a power cable pass-through, and areas for cable-laying.

http://shadowdog.tripod.com/stereo.htm

The power cables run nicely on the driver side after passing through the grommet. I removed the kick panel piece and interior rocker panel cover to gain access to the existing wire looms under the carpet. From there, it's easy to tuck along the side all the way to the rear, under the passenger seat, and through to the back. All of it is well protected through this area. RCA's can be run just as easily either on the passenger side in the same manner; or if you have the driver and rear seats removed, along the centre - depending upon your needs. Mine was rather extensive considering I am using multiple amps for each set of speakers...so I had to think it through. These days, signal isolation is pretty good with the insulation of the RCA cables. Still, signal absorption from the power cables can happen, and when they do...you'll hate it.

If you don't notice any noise at the moment, then I would leave it as is. Don't try fixing something that's not broke! :wink:

agreed. it wont take much to run the RCAs down the center and keep them away, but if you do not currently experience any of that annoying line noise then i say just dont bother.

I have a 4g. and an 10g. power wire running side by side running down the passenger side door sill. and my RCA's down the driver side door sill. It was easy to do. Just unscrew the screws and pop off the sill, lift up the carpet and there you go. I had to take the back seat out and crawl in my trunk to get the wire. The grommet i ran the power wire through was down by the passengers feet. Just left of the blower motor about 5-6 inches. In the engine bay, that is about 6 inches left and alittle above the exaust downpipe. I couldn't get both wires through the grommet so, i just popped the grommet out and stuffed cardboard around the hole to keep the firewall from cutting the wire. I have had it this way for 7-8 months and no water has came in the cab, and the exaust does not get the wire hot.

well my rcas are ran down the passenger side, power ran down the drivers side, thats not the thing, it is that they crossed each other in the back to hook up to the amp...thats what i was referring to. however since i posted this question i switched around things with my install. anyways thanks for the help guys,