Canada equipped DRL cars

Psych0matt

Was it all canuck cars that got the DRL feature? My dashpad is from Canada and has the spot for the sensor, but that's it. I wouldn't mind adding the feature, if not to extremely difficult and pricey. anyone know all what would be involved in doing this?

I'm not sure about this, but the reason you have that type of dash, could mean that the car was built in Canada. Check the VIN number. If it starts with a "2", then it's Canadian built, sold in US. They were probably going to put DRL's in it, but when they realised it was being sold in the States, they didn't bother with it.

I hate DRL's with a passion. My car has them, but they don't work. One day when my brother was working on the car (he doesn't know what he did), he discovered that the DRL's no longer work, and I told him NOT to fix it.

Oh, and Yes.. by 1990 all new cars sold in Canada were required by law to have DRL's

no, the dashpad itself came from a canadian car, I put it in this summer because it was a HUD pad. I would like to add it, but put a toggle switch on it, so I can turn it off, but have it just to say I have it

I'm not sure about this, but the reason you have that type of dash, could mean that the car was built in Canada. Check the VIN number. If it starts with a "2", then it's Canadian built, sold in US. They were probably going to put DRL's in it, but when they realised it was being sold in the States, they didn't bother with it.

I hate DRL's with a passion. My car has them, but they don't work. One day when my brother was working on the car (he doesn't know what he did), he discovered that the DRL's no longer work, and I told him NOT to fix it.

Oh, and Yes.. by 1990 all new cars sold in Canada were required by law to have DRL's

I have a spot for DRL, so that's definatley not the case :wink:

On the first Gens anyways, its looks like a little plastic disk with a little hole in the middle of it. I've always seen it on the drivers side speaker cover on the dash.

bingo, i can take a pic if anyone wants

My first number is a 1... but does that mean that it was built AND sold in the US? Or could it not of been sold in Canada?

I really need to get a carfax done on this thing...

Jamie

since your number is 1, that just means it was built in the US. However, i thought all Gen 1's were built at the Oshawa plant? unless the 95+ gp's were at the fairfax plant?

I have that sensor on the 89.

Its a light sensor that doesn't even work with DRL, it does however affect the interior console lights, when its sunny the dimmer doesnt work, when its dark it activates the dimmer switch and turns on the interior lights on the console.

I can check the manual for wiring, i know it wires up to the DRL unit though. It would be cool if it worked properly and turned on the head lights when its dark.

The assembly plant would not make a difference. What makes the difference is where the car was designated for sale from the factory. Cars built in canada, but intended for the US were built to US specs, and vice versa.

My first number is a 1... but does that mean that it was built AND sold in the US? Or could it not of been sold in Canada?

I really need to get a carfax done on this thing...

Jamie

Our cars were built in Fairfax KA IIRC, and obviously make for Canada (having KM/H on the cluster). Mine has DRL, I find it strange that yours doesn't! However my fiance and my sister both have Sunfires (95/97) and they don't have them.

I like DRL, I think they are a good safety feature, and I don't know why anyone would NOT want them? My 88 GP didn't have them but I always turned them on (especially on the highway) so that people could see the car from a distance.

9 times out of 10 I have my lights on as well. But on theodd occaison when I have the headlight covers on the car, I like to be able to have them off, they make the head light overs look like ass because of the way the covers mount. You can see all the mounting tabs inside, I know I'm just being picky...

Jamie

matts Cs (ie all 88-mid 95 CS's) were built in Doraville Ga (11th VIN digit = D = Doraville)

mid 95-97 CS's were built in fairfax Kansas. (11th VIN digit = F = Farifax II)

Luminas are the Canooks of W-bodies. They were all built at Oshawa.

each car was built to specific specifications depending where they would go.

GPs and Regals originated elsewhere...... and a vin decode would tell you.

the info I read about DRLs states the high beams are on at low intensity during the day, and when it detects dark the normal low beams and running lights activate.

Well, when I start my car no lights come on, and as C-bad pointed out my car was clearly meant for Canada as the speedo is in KM not miles...

Does this mean that I SHOULD of had them and the factory just screwed up?

Jamie

sometimes i think it would be a great idea for ALL cars in the states to have them, people are simply too stupid to know when it is a good idea to have the lights on.

sometimes people are simply too stupid to know when it is a good idea to have the lights on.

That's one thing I can agree on. I think DRL's are pointless in day time. Your headlights are not usefull in daylight. The amber clearance lamps should be significant for the on-coming drivers to see your car.

If drivers don't know when to turn on their headlights, I know one feature, that my old 89 Buick Electra wagon had, that would come in very handy in that kind of situation....

They called it Twilight Senteniel lights. On an automobile, Twilight Sentiniel is a device on General Motors' cars that senses outside light and automatically turns the headlights on and off depending on lighting conditions.

In addition, Twilight Sentiniel also allows the driver to set a timer (located with the headlight switch) that delays shutting off the headlights for a specified time period, usually up to 1-1/2 minutes. The driver can park his/her vehicle, shut off the car's engine and exit the automobile after dark, then use the headlights to light his/her path into a nearby building, such as a house, before the system shuts the headlights off automatically.

An electric photocell located in the dashboard (as we're discussing) detected lighting conditions and activated the headlights as appropriate. Usually, this would mean turning on the headlights at dusk and shutting them off after sunrise, without the driver touching the switch. During daytime driving, the photocell would be able to keep the headlights off when driving under a bridge, through a short tunnel, etc.

However, Twilight Sentinel does NOT automatically shut off the headlights if the driver manually turns the headlights on (he/she must manually turn the headlights off), nor does it turn on the exterior lights for driving conditions such as heavy rain or fog (however in some newer versions of the system, Twilight Sentinel is linked to GM's RainSense automatic windshield wiper system to turn lights on automatically when the wipers are on).

Twilight Sentinel was first available on several Cadillac models in 1964. This feature later became available on selected Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Chevrolet models. I know GM's B-Bodies had them in 1989 for sure, but I don't know about W-bodies.

sometimes i think it would be a great idea for ALL cars in the states to have them, people are simply too stupid to know when it is a good idea to have the lights on.

true that!!!! even when its 8pm and dark people dont have them on.

make the head light overs look like ass because of the way the covers mount. You can see all the mounting tabs inside

yeah, thats one stupid design made by GTS. I guess its the only logical way to mount them, but still