Found out why the '94's sunroof is leaking!!!! PICS!!!

5speedz34

Let me give a history on this. About a year ago (before we bought it) the previous owner couldn't get the sunroof to close and slammed it shut with his hands needing to get the tracks and a few other pieces replaced. :rolleyes: The paper work (which I have) says the shop recommended replacing the glass and weatherstripping because of rust. Well I happen to know the owner of the trim shop he took it to.

Well, I went there today. First, let me say the roof leaks bad, ask Chris. It rained steady, but not to heavy one night in Toledo and the roof was wet, the drivers seat and when I opened the sun visor water poured out! The weatherstripping has always been wavy and shitting looking, and the sunroof has trouble opening and closing because the rust has swollen the seal out making it difficult to move between the roof and the weatherstripping. The glass doesn't really like to open because the motor doesn't have enough power. The previous owner thought it was the switch and replaced it (dumbass) which really did nothing.

Well here are the pics!

Sunroof1Large.jpg

Sunroof2Large.jpg

Sunroof3Large.jpg

^ You can see in these pics whats happening. The weatherstripping is going wavy the place that its attached to is rusted badly. You can kinda see some rust if you look closely in the last pic.

Sunroof6Large.jpg

Sunroof7Large.jpg

Sunroof8Large.jpg

^In the first pic that black silicone looking stuff is some sealant we used to help make the weatherstripping bond to the glass better. We also put on some spray-on silicone. Ohh, and we blew out the front drain tubes with a air compressor. They weren't clogged. He said that the sometimes get disconnected or the "solder joints" break were the attach to the drip tray.

He gave me a few options considering the condition of the car, he said he wouldn't replace the glass the way it was quoted on the original paperwork. He said they could take the glass out, remove the weatherstripping, clean the drain tubes out, clean the rust off (although its flaking so I don't how thats to possible) and then reseal it with urethane. He said that should hold for a few years. Personally, I would like fix the cause not the symptoms. Ohh and to recover the sun shade it would be about $150 and that's hit or miss if it will match oem. I think it would cheaper to go through the dealer or GMPD for that!

So heres my options and questions.

You can see the piece that's rusted. He seemed to think it was bonded to the glass. I went to the dealer and I couldn't decipher from their images if it's even available separately. I found out GMPD won't ship glass which sucks, and he seemed to think these sunroofs are dealer only items.

This is exactly the image they showed me (thanks robby and bossman!)

sunroof9.jpg

I thought it might be 4 but that's the sunshade. The weatherstripping is a VPI part IIRC. the guy told me come back after I find out what I need.

So my question is does anyone know if the glass is separate from that piece that is rusted, or do I have to buy the glass?

Is the weatherstripping held to the glass with any sealant of some sort?

Buy a replacement glass and weatherstripping at the yard that looks to be in good shape (doubt I'll find one but still), and risk that it won't be close to same shape.

Go to the dealer and buy the glass and weatherstripping. I called a Auto Glass place and they said they don't mess with sunroofs. But who knows if aftermarket is close to the same quality. Weatherstripping I can get online GMPD won't ship glass! Although my parents are going to NC in a few weeks, (where GMPD is located).

Or have the trim shop try to fix the broken shit, pretty much with a band-aid.

I would bet that this could the problem with a majority of peoples cars too!

Or

i'd PM one of our southern members and get them to get you a whole new glass pannel, and weatherstrip. and mail it to you myself. and from the diagram you show i'm tempted to believe that the glass and weatherstrip are one in the same.

i'd PM one of our southern members and get them to get you a whole new glass pannel, and weatherstrip. and mail it to you myself. and from the diagram you show i'm tempted to believe that the glass and weatherstrip are one in the same.

I think the weatherstripping is separate but I'm really not sure. It seemed to pull of fine when me and the owner of the trim shop worked on it. And you can get the weatherstripping from the dealer.

I found one from a '95 GP the whole assembly for $150. I'm going to check it out next week along with going to parts galore.

The weatherstripping is separate from the glass. Dealer is the only place I have found that has it. They wanted like $60, I think, for it.

Yeah, thats what you said.

I'm going to check out a few yards and see if I can find some non rusted glass and go from there.

The weatherstripping is separate from the glass. Dealer is the only place I have found that has it. They wanted like $60, I think, for it.

I'm going to check out a few yards and see if I can find some non rusted glass and go from there.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure what's rusting on yours is part of the glass. I don't know if it's actually part of the glass or it just comes with the glass (if you were to buy the glass from GM). Mine's been doing that since I got the car. Good luck with the junkyard search.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure what's rusting on yours is part of the glass. I don't know if it's actually part of the glass or it just comes with the glass (if you were to buy the glass from GM). Mine's been doing that since I got the car. Good luck with the junkyard search.

Your's has been leaking because of the rust? I would bet this is why they all leak!

Your's has been leaking because of the rust? I would bet this is why they all leak!

Na, mine was leaking from a clogged drain tube. I fixed that back in March. I was just saying that mine is starting to rust just like that one. Mine's not near as bad though.

I just priced a sunroof gasket at the dealer today: $130 CDN ouch

My TGP sunroof leaks a bit and I also want to fix it before I replace my headliner.

Had the same problem with a 93 Grand Prix I used to own. Remove the glass from the car, peel of the stripping (comes right off), wire brush the edges, spray with rust neutralizer from Home Depot, then paint. Get some black silicone sealant and fill up the seam in the stripping. When you re-install the stripping use clamps to hold it tight to the glass. It may still be curled a little where the ends of the stripping meet, but it won't leak. Total cost is less than 20.00.

One alternative is to dip* the glass and its frame that will remove all rust and then you can repaint it and either glue a new weather stripping to it or reuse the old one.

Cheers Gimper,

* There should be a lot of different companies doing acid or simlar process rust removal by dipping. The glass should hold up, after all it's used to store very toxic and acid products in.

i'm not very familiar with these sunroofs, but i'd pull the headliner, find the power lines that i'd imagine would run up one of the a-pillars, cut into them, and use a cordless drill battery to get power to it. or if you have a jumper pack that would work too.

I had a similar deal on my car. I managed to fix it though. What I did was pull the strip off, remove all the crap, rust, glue etc. from the inside. Then I reattached it with black RTV. I used c-clamps and some wooden boards to make the seal stay around the glass. I haven't had any leaks since.