cutlass supreme sx?

spradlin_c

I have a 1989 Cultass Supreme SX, at least that is what it says on the rear bumper. Thing is though, I've never heard of an SX from 1989 and I haven't been able to find any info about one. Can anyone help me out?

i was just gonna ask the same thing. ive seen several of them, back in 94ish there was a red one and a white one that i would see around here alot. they had ground effects(was different than the intl), a spoiler, and CUTLASS SUPREME SX really big across the back bumper

I saw a white one before with red letters, it might be part of the ground effect company that made calling them SX's

Dealer package I think. It was more than just ground-effects, some actually had "SX" embroidered into the headrests of the leather seats.

Do you know the original dealer that sold the car new?

can you take any pictures?

I'd like to see some pics also, sounds interesting.

I've got a picture of a 1993 Cutlass Supreme SX convertable on my site under the "Modifications" page...

...and there's not much but there are some obvious changes (small pic, don't expect much):

* like GnatGoSplat pointed out, there is embroided head rests with the "SX" badge

* badging on the door

* some slight interior updates (don't know exactly all the changes)

* but never saw any ground effects for the 1991+, but then again only seen two of them.

- RedFox340

The cutlass supreme sx first came out in the 60s and they brought it back in 89 you had to order the car from oldsmobile some but few dealers got them in.I asked a guy a couple of years ago about his and he ordered his brand new from a olds dealer.They are supposed to have been made in relative low numbers and are highly collectable.The later models I would assume are the same.I dont know what all w body years sx cutlass was made other then 89.

There is no mention of an "SX" trim level in either the parts catalog or 89 Service Manual. The Olds dealer this guy ordered his from was probably the one doing the conversion.

Shawn heres a link for the old 70s model Sx window sticker if you would like to check it out.Im looking for one for the 89 model sx window sticker.http://www.silverstone.fortunecity.com/oldsmobile/442/images/sx_lit_factory_sticker.jpg

I believe you that the 70's Cutlass SX is authentic, I just don't think the '89 Cutlass SX is authentic.

Dealers often bring back old names from the past for their dealer conversions. For instance, some dealer was making a "Silverado SS" in the 99-02 Silverado body style when the first REAL SS didn't come out till the 03 model year.

You might be right.If he ran his vin number do you think that might help him find out what his car is I know that one 89 pace car comes up a international I wonder if his would .I came across a picture of a 89 cutlass convertable the guy claimes to be a SX-R but it looks like a plain cutlass to me .Theres a girl here in bristol that has a black SX with the front ground effects that looks like the 89 pace car but the side ground effects looks totally different from a international.Next time I see her car at Walmart i will write down her vin and run them and see what the car comes back as im betting a International. :D

Yeah, the VIN should tell what the car started out as.

I'm pretty sure those SX's are a regional thing, because in the 9yrs I've owned my Cutlass, I've never seen another SX in person. I'm pretty sure I would notice if I had!

So your saying those 454 Silverados were a dealer installed option?

jon

No, there was an early 454SS. I don't know what the first model year was or the last, but it was sometime from 88-93. Any SS from 94-02 is a dealer conversion.

I ran a VIN check on the 89 Cutlass "SX". It came up as just a Cutlass Supreme. The only thing I've seen different on my Cutlass from different Cutlasses is the front, side, and rear body moldings, the spoiler, and the hubcaps. The hubcaps were all white with the red Oldsmobile logo in the middle (one eventually fell off so I had to replace the set). The doors also just have the "Cutlass Supreme" plate on them, w/o mention of the "SX". I can post some pics if someone can tell me how to put them on this site.