Turning lights

White93z34

alright recenty i've been driving around a friend of mines taurus, and his has the turning lights in the sides of the front bumper that light up the road on either the right or left when the turnsiganl is on. very neat feature.

i've been sorta thinking that i could install a light of some sort in my corner lights since the area in front of the amber turn signal/parking light really has no purpose.

ideas? thoughts, comments?

Yes, it is a nifty feature. My Regal has them. Where were the lamps at on the Taurus?

I don't think it would be too hard to integrate a cornering lamp into the side marker area. I think space is really the only issue that may come up.

EDIT: Here's a link so you have an idea on how to add the bulb. Obviously it not a Lumina so the exact procedure won't be the same.

http://members.aol.com/regal231/caprice/cl.htm

01.jpg

here, its the light in front of the front wheel. i'm thinking the only decent place to install it on a lumina is the front corner houseing.

thanks for the atricle that definately at least gives me a starting point.

No, only the earlier Taurus's have them...my dad's '95 doesn't have one. I think the last year for that was '93 (I noticed that's a '93 Taurus, body colored bumpers, unlike the '92, but still has black door handles)....until it's some wierd U.S. only feature.

Does the side marker light flash on that Taurus?? The one of my dad's does...so maybe they changed the location of it later

My dad's volvo has lights that flash on every fucking thing lol....two in the front, and two on the sides..and of course the rear tail lights

well why couldnt you just mount some light inside the underside of the front bumper :dunno: you wouldnt have to see the housing of it, just have it light up to that corner underneath

thanks for the atricle that definately at least gives me a starting point.

Your welcome. That was easy for me to do because 94-96 caprices...all of them, come pre-wired. Outside of that, the light part is easiest to do because 93 and earlier guys, who don't have it pre-wired, have to run stuff up into the column and it becomes a pain. There are writeups I believe, if interested, I could point you to them.

FYI, cornering lamps only work when your headlights are on.

My Acura has them as well.

Which reminds me, I really need to change the burnt out bulb on the drivers side turning light. Driving me nuts!(pretty much gotta put the bumper to get the headlamp and turn signal assembly out, but that gives me time to get the bumper aligned perfectly).

i think only the higher end taurus' got them, as the one i've been driving is a prety well equiped LX wagon, in fact most of the early 90s taurus' i've seen don't have that at all.

i think the only real way for it to work for me would be to goto the steering column turnsignal switch and get a positive lead or at least a relay lead off the turnsignal switch as it would flash otherwise.

i think the only real way for it to work for me would be to goto the steering column turnsignal switch and get a positive lead or at least a relay lead off the turnsignal switch as it would flash otherwise.

Well, I had thought of another way, but it involves creating a little circuit which I haven't designed yet. You could take the power off the front blinker, which would activate a relay (this keeps from drawing too much power from the light). This relay powers your cornering lamp. The key is to put in some sort of circuit delay (Capacitor or timing circuit), so when the blinker turns off, the relay stays latched for about 2 seconds. It would allow the circuit to stay powered during the blinking cycle, yet once the blinker is turned off, the cornering lamp would turn off quickly. You'd have to build 2, one for each side.

This was the route I was going to take until I found out my wagon was prewired for it.

funny you should mention that, i've also thoungt about what you just mentioned. however i don't believe i have the smarts to figgure that one out.

Cornering lamps don't flash, and they are a white light.

Ben, that's odd. My cornering lights work all the time. Doesn't matter if the headlights are on or not. lol

Well, less odd and more of a variance from model to model.

I'll shoot a video of mine tonight.

I had the same thought about a decade ago. I think a white LED matrix would fit in the white part of the corner lamp. I never got around to doing anything about it though. You might have more room to work with, but the Cutlass corners are only about a 1/2" thick so an LED matrix is all I could think of that would be bright enough.

Pointless? Not really. They illuminate the turn. Now are they needed? no...lots of cars don't have cornering lamps...but auto dimming rear view mirrors, compasses, even rear window defoggers aren't needed...but are nice to have. You're at stop sign, making a right turn...it floods the corner with light...that simple, they are just nice to have.

I think they'd be very helpful, especially with our worthless US-DOT spec lighting which illuminates none of the sides. I've often had to slow way down in the dark in order to see the turn in.