Autometer Air Fuel Ratio Install

97loudcut

Chris and I need to know how to install the Autometer Air Fuel Ratio gauge in my car. Who here has done it and what does it require?

Also, I have the Trans Temp gauge and I just want to clarify that this is how you install it.

should be pretty easy to wire up...for the gauge itself, you have 3 wires...1 for Ground, 1 for Keyed Power, 1 goes to the sending unit...the sending unit screws into your transmission...there should be a hole in your trans somewhere with a plug in it...you unscrew the plug and put the sending unit in its place...the light bulb is pretty much self explanatory...1 is ground, the other is the power from your interior light wire on your light switch...that way it dims with the rest of the lights...

Finally, the Volt gauge. Chris is going to tap it into an accessory line, sounds like the easiest way to me.

I've never looked into adding guage's, so I never knew where to tap what into what.

The volt guage will be simple.

Terry, which plug on the trans do you mean? Like, a general location or something.

run a wire from the o2 sensor wire on your car.... easy as pie

Thats what I was figuring, but I wanted to be sure on that. Thats easy as hell.

Matt, you wouldn't happen to know if you have a heated O2 sensor or not, do you? Or were these cars even optioned with a heated O2 sensor? If they were, which wire is the appropriate one for this application?

pretty sure no first gens have heated O2s stock, so he shouldn't have to worry about that.

not really sure why you're installing an a/f gauge.. but in anycase, you're supposed to run the ground straight to the battery for best results.

pretty sure no first gens have heated O2s stock, so he shouldn't have to worry about that.

not really sure why you're installing an a/f gauge.. but in anycase, you're supposed to run the ground straight to the battery for best results.

I'm just installing whatever guage's he bought. IMO, I only would have bought a trans temp and a voltage guage.

Note taken on the ground. I might try to find the battery to block ground and tap it into that one, so I don't have random wire's running to the battery. Looks tacky.

A/F Tap into the O2. All 94's+ have heated O2's, you simply can't run OBD2 without one.

Trans I know my buddy removed a bolt or something from the top of his 97 GP to get the tranny temp.

A/F Tap into the O2. All 94's+ have heated O2's, you simply can't run OBD2 without one.

Trans I know my buddy removed a bolt or something from the top of his 97 GP to get the tranny temp.

Alright, so which wire do I tap into for the reading then. Aren't like two of them ground, 1 power, and 1 for information?

Alright, so which wire do I tap into for the reading then. Aren't like two of them ground, 1 power, and 1 for information?

Umm hang on.

http://www.grandprix.net/upgrades/transtempgauge.html <-----Trans

http://www.fastgp.com/<-----Might help for o2 not sure.

Umm hang on.

http://www.grandprix.net/upgrades/transtempgauge.html <-----Trans

http://www.fastgp.com/<-----Might help for o2 not sure.

Those should work. IIRC, when I added a heated O2 onto the Z34, the purple was the signal wire.

As for the trans temp, assuming the 4t60 and the 4t65 have the same plug at the top of the trans, that should be pretty cool.

Those should work. IIRC, when I added a heated O2 onto the Z34, the purple was the signal wire.

yea, purple sound be signal. two blacks are the grounds obviously, then whatever other color (white?) would be the power.

I've never looked into adding guage's, so I never knew where to tap what into what.

The volt guage will be simple.

Terry, which plug on the trans do you mean? Like, a general location or something.

not sure about that on the 4T60E...but, here's where i got the info about how to install it:

http://www.oqcgp.com/upgrades/gauges_1/lotek.php

As for the trans temp, assuming the 4t60 and the 4t65 have the same plug at the top of the trans, that should be pretty cool.

The 4T60-E's do have the pressure port/plug in the same spot. The 60-E has a different style transaxle bracket than the 65-E..so the plug is located just underneath the bracket from what I remember.

i wouldn't cut the o2 wire though. strip it off in one spot and then solder in the wire for the gauge. this way you don't break the signal for the o2 sensor. that is my recomendation

i wouldn't cut the o2 wire though. strip it off in one spot and then solder in the wire for the gauge. this way you don't break the signal for the o2 sensor. that is my recomendation

Didn't plan on cutting anything. I'll strip it back just the way I do it when I do alarms/remote starts/keyless entry's.

Personally for mine on the TSTE, I was planning on cutting the connectors off a junk sensor/harness and making a small "splitter cable," if you get me. it would plug in between the stock sensor and harness and have the wire for the a/f gauge split off of that, so that I wouldn't have to cut any of the stock wiring.

Didn't plan on cutting anything. I'll strip it back just the way I do it when I do alarms/remote starts/keyless entry's.

i figured you would have enough knowledge to do so. you know what your doing.

Personally for mine on the TSTE, I was planning on cutting the connectors off a junk sensor/harness and making a small "splitter cable," if you get me. it would plug in between the stock sensor and harness and have the wire for the a/f gauge split off of that, so that I wouldn't have to cut any of the stock wiring.

I've always wanted to do something like that for my engine bay, that way I could tuck away almost all of the wiring harness's. Alas, takes a lot of time, and money I could put to better use.

I've always wanted to do something like that for my engine bay, that way I could tuck away almost all of the wiring harness's. Alas, takes a lot of time, and money I could put to better use.

That's the way my buddy installed his AF gauge. I think he bought the connector's online.

i like the air fuel gauge and for some reason, some girls are infatuated with them.

the 60 has the same plug as the 65. thats where i tapped my sensor in. since i wast worried about the gauge being accurate, i used the secondary 02 sensor. i got the proper pac connector and wired in the stock wire and the signal wire to run to the a/f meter. i might redo it though.