Contemplating an Alarm

skiiirt

I am so sickened by this ridiculous weather that I have decided to invest in a 2-way alarm/starter.

I have been checking out eBay and their pricing - which is crazy cheap compared to the shops around here. However none of the shops here will install a 3rd party alarm system. So I have to buy from the stores if I don't want to do the install myself.

My choices are pretty slim. But I am looking at the $400 - $600 range (installed).

I have never bought a starter/alarm. Are there any considerations I should make when picking a unit? I am not so concerned about the alarm aspect as I really just need the starter. However I have seen some pretty sweet setups with things like auto rolling windows on alarm etc.

Just some advice when talking to the installers so I don't get hustled would be nice.

I am looking at 2 units

NuStart NUAS8000

and the

Viper 5900

Two configurable auxilary outputs - what does this mean?

Any help is much appreciated as i am a newb when it comes to alarms

Most shops will install a 3rd party one, but the labor will be near $150-$200 to do it.

Yes, there is a ridiculous markup on most of the systems you see in the stores, but those prices generally include the labor as well.

IMO, go with anything made by http://www.directed.com (Directed Electronics). They have the best technical support, and coming from an installers point of view, some of the easiest to install. You can buy aftermarket modules(window rolling, sensors for vert's and truck beds, etc...).

The auxilary outputs are generally used for trunk pop, and the other is usually not used, unless you add on something else(window rolling up). But, you generally need a relay, and will have to pay for the additional labor(at some shops).

If you wanna try it yourself, it's not hard, at all. I can get you the wiring diagram.

Thanks for the info. I'll continue to call around here and see what kind of help I can get.

I have made contact with a few people. One is an installer and says he can do it cheap.

The other has a discount on alarms which I am going to check out on Sunday. I also have to check with my company to see if I can get a good rate at the local installer.

I would love to save the money and do it myself but the weather is just too ridiculous. It is absolutely minimum requirement to have a heated garage. Just too cold. However If I do get my buddy to do the install I will definately need those diagrams

Thanks for the info.

An another note. Do these systems operate off the factory key less entry? I know mine is need of repair as it works like 80% of the time. Thanks again!

Generally, you take your factory key fob off of your keychain, and never use it. They usually mess up the aftermarket system if you use the factory stuff.

If you have a buddy that is willing to do it(and has done it) and you can find the stuff for fairly cheap, that may be your best route. Just be sure to pay your buddy pretty well(assuming he knows what he is doing), as if he was working, he would be getting payed for 2-5 hours of work.

for my aux. functions I have trunk pop and the rear window defrost turns on too if I click buttons together..works pretty slick. Mine's just a UNGO ProSecurity RK-1...might upgrade to a SR6000 if funds allow haha

I really want to pick up that DEI alarm/RS with the two-way pager... can't remember what line it's in, Viper I think.

The viper brand is the stuff I usually deal with. But the Python, Clifford, and all the other DEI stuff is all the same, just different names.

Ya. That price is a hell of a deal. Its $200 on ebay!

Thanks for the advice. Provided this guy can install for a decent rate I should be ordering this bitch by tomorrow night