A few lightbar questions

Robby1870

Alright, when I was home over break I swapped out my center lightbar for a spare one I had, since the one that came on the STE had 3 broken mounts (only 5 mounts total). Since I now have a junk lightbar here, I took off the plastic cover. It came off very easy. What's a good glue to use to re seal/attach the plastic cover? I'd like to do this to my good light bar so I can clean out the crud inside. I just need to know a good substance to re seal it with.

Another question, does anyone know a good place to get a good STE lightbar emblem? I never see them on ebay. Mine is in rough shape, and the red Pontiac washboard is missing. Also, if I do find one of these, whats a good glue to use to attach it? I think that's all my questions. Thanks guys.

I used clear silicone on my headlights. Worked great.

Yeah, that's what my buddy did on his GP, just make sure it doesn't fade after it cures.

Good luck on the badging, I doubt you'll find that.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Since I've got this spare one here, now completely disassembled and rid of the factory glue, I'm gonna try redoing this one to see how good I am at it before doing it on my good lightbar. I'm gonna try sanding off all the old clearcoat and putting new one on this spare one and see how that goes too. I've gone up to 1000 grit on one small spot and realized I didn't have any 2000 grit. I'll go buy some tomorrow and see how 2000 looks. The 1000 is just a touch to cloudy right now.

I took some before pics just now. So, if you haven't seen inside a lightbar, now's your chance. I tried to take a pic of the center badge, but they didn't come out well.

Lightbar1.jpg

Lightbar2.jpg

Lightbar3.jpg

Lightbar4.jpg

Are they sealed with the same kind of stuff the taillights are sealed with? If so, it's butyl tape.

I'm not sure if I'd use RTV silicone. I used RTV to glue the Olds emblem back into one of my taillights. When I wanted to take it off, the RTV was so strong taking it off destroyed the emblem. My point is, what if someday you want to clean it out again?

Are they sealed with the same kind of stuff the taillights are sealed with? If so, it's butyl tape.

I'm not sure if I'd use RTV silicone. I used RTV to glue the Olds emblem back into one of my taillights. When I wanted to take it off, the RTV was so strong taking it off destroyed the emblem. My point is, what if someday you want to clean it out again?

I've never taken the taillights apart so I don't have any idea if it's the same stuff. The stuff on the lightbar was grey in color, just a little sticky to the touch, but very hard to get off. I would take some pics, but I've already thrown it away.

Hmmm... kinda sounds like butyl, but not sure if it comes in gray? The stuff on the taillights is black. Butyl doesn't cure so it stays sticky and tacky so you can pull the lamp apart if you really have to. It gets old and weak so new butyl will be a lot stronger. RTV cures really strong and I think it'd be really difficult if not impossible to pull the lamp apart without breaking it if the need should arise.

Here's a pic of a little bit more I was able to scrape off. The consistency reminds me of a thicker two-part epoxy just after mixing the two parts. This isn't the greatest pic, but maybe you can tell what it is.

gluestuff.jpg

I agree that RTV would be too strong in case I wanted to take the front off again. This glue isn't that strong, the front cover came off fairly easily just by prying with a small screwdriver.

When I painted the headlight in my Grand Marquis, I resealed them with clear silicone. It holds up pretty well and doesn't leak or fog up. It will be easy to take apart as well.

On a similar note, I took my lightbar apart as well and getting that adhesive out of the ridge was a huge PITA! So my suggestion to you is, do it right the first time. :lol:

Yeah, that goo stuff is a pain to get out. I sanded my spare lightbar front today, 400, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit, then polished it. I took pics, but it's hard to see from the pics the difference it made. Just gotta clear coat it and see how it looks.

Clearcoat should work nice. Just be sure it's acrylic enamel (like the rustoleum lineup) and not lacquer (plastikote auto touch-up spray) The lacquer will dull and soon chalk.