blew up my car last sunday

adam_murphy

lol never thought it would happen to me, so ill tell how it happened. I was in 2nd gear cruising about 35, eased into the gas then went wide open, mind you i was running a 2.7 pulley non ic, 18 psi :willynilly: anyway i let off and low and behold i hear a knock from the motor. pull of to a side street and check the plugs. cyl #1 plug had no gap what so ever :lol: and had some impact on the end of the plug, came to the conclusion i either chipped a piston or broke a valve (hopefuly not breaking an intake valve because that means the metal would go into the intake manifold on the compression stroke, eventually getting chewed up by the Gen 5, ruining the blower. well i trailered it home, used a bore sighter to look down the cylinder, and i saw a nice section of piston ring from about a 1/4 of the piston, at least the valves are intact for the most part so its either still in the cylinder or out the exhaust. This gives me a good enough excuse to drop a grand prix GT motor in her and start over. Now you may be wondering why i am running that much boost? I dyno'd the day before, 18 psi (2.7 pulley) non ic with 22 degrees of timing, no knock at all. Big thanks to 111 leaded race fuel for that one, i filled up with 92 pump and pulled all the timing back to stock, but i guess it still didnt like that.

heh yeah im not broken over it, thats just the risk of non intercooling.

last month and a half i ran 312 whp 323wtq if some of you remember, well did some pushing of the car and pulled out 327whp 332 wtq, did that open downpipe and race gas. Kind of made a friend of mine mad, he dyno'd tenths of a hp less, but 8 wheel tq more, but he has stage 3 heads, a bigger cam, intercooler, basically more mods, but i have to send a big thanks out to the gen 5 blower for somehow putting out that power

2.7 pulley non-intercooled on a gen V???? On pump gas???? Not a very good plan. I'm sorry to hear what happened, but just pulling your timing back to stock is obviously not going to be enough to kill all your kr going from 111 octane to 93. I think I would've upped it to like a 3.0 or so for street driving, probably overkill but obviously would still have plenty of power.

I guess it all depends on what you want to do, but I drive my car everyday. Because of this, I don't try to push it that hard. I run a few pulley sizes larger than I actually could, run it richer than most people would, etc...., just because if I go 1 tenth slower but still get to drive my car to work the next day, I'm happy. Same with the dyno....if I make 10whp less than I could've, but I drive my car home, I'm also happy. And I know that I could've pushed it harder. Don't get me wrong those are some awesome numbers and I congratulate you for them, but I just don't think I'd be pushing it that hard.

But, the L36 bottom end should definately be a nice addition to your setup. Personally I think I'd put an intercooler on it as well, with the added compression its nice to have, but either way the compression should help you out. I LOVE my L36 bottom end....even if it does have 219000 miles on it.

how come it is better to use the gt motor?

With a blower as inefficient as the M90 at high boost levels, the higher compression of the L36 bottom end helps make more power with the smaller pulleys. You can't run quite as small of a pulley obviously, but the extra compression makes up for the boost you can't run and you don't have as much loss from spinning the blower 'cause you're not spinning it as fast. Plus, off boost the car is much more responsive and actually acts like it wants to go, whereas the L67 kinda struggles a little without boost, at least from my experiences.

well i wouldnt say i just got it done, its probably been 8 months, and 6500 miles with the setup, But this gives me time to replace some things while the motor is out (3k stall, 5% over drive balancer) unsure about a mezerie yet.