94 cutty weird sound. weird + NEW PROB WITH (ABS)

rockfangd

ok so i start my car tonight with my car starter and i walk out of work to go to my car and everything is perfectly fine, warm and running great, so i drive home like not even 4 miles and i get like 2 miles from my street and all of a sudden i hear this humming noise coming from the passenger side of the dash, so it was loud enough for me to hear over my stereo. I paniced and pulled right over and shut off the car and it stopped. keep in mind my cutty is so quiet you could hear a pin drop. So i started the car back up like a minute later and it didnt make any noise for like 30 secs then it started again, i shut off the radio, defroster, heat, and headlighs which were all working fine, i even checked the power windows, locks, and mirrors and they were all fine. i am baffled because i checked all my gauges, fuses and everything is fine from what i can see. could it be the computer (hope not) the noise is not at all familiar to something i have ever heard before. anyone please help me figure this out!!!!!! p.s. sorry its so long but i am very specific :sad:

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

well would it make this noise if the climate switch is switched to off, and is this something i should worry about. i know for a fact that i did not drop anything in any of the vents, and it sounds the same at any speed.. and i saw a box with many wires going to it unsure to what it is but it is behind the dash on the far right side

I was kinda thinking the alternator, because thats pretty loud when it whines...... but maybe not.

I was thinking the same thing Jay. I'd check out the blower like everyone else suggests. If that isn't the source of your problem, I bet the alt is.

well its been about 3 days and i have not heard the noise again so it may not do it anymore. but nw i have a new problem. When i turn on the ignition sometimes the abs light will stay illuminated and when i start the car the light stays on until i shut the car off then it is fine. it is completely random. any suggestions. btw whether the light is on or off it works fine so i think . thanks everyone

experienced the same problem with my bro's 94. replaced the nut on the remote positive terminal and that solved the probelm. it had a brass nut which has stripped out, and I just grabbed a used nut off of a 95 and newer W-body remote terminal.

the ABS ground is on a wire with an eyelet that is locked down by one of the bolts that holds the steering column in the car. make sure that bolt is tight.

otherwise, buy some dielectric tune-up grease, and grease up the contacts on your ABS relay (underhood). something i have done to all connectros underhood at one point or another.

The ABS light is supposed to start going nuts when the alternator is going bad. Do as Ken said, and check your electrical connections. I would also take a multimeter, and check to see how much of a charge the alternator is putting out, just to be safe.

yeah that nut has caused me many probs, so many its not even funny because i would be driving down the road and lose everything. i will have to pick up grease. and my charging system gauge normally reads about 13.5

if the nut is slightly loose, the ABS failsafes and deactivates it is does not decect ample electricity to operate on startup.

grab the correct bolt from someplace. the threads are the same as used by the nuts on top of the strut towers, BUT... they are 'compressed nuts' and could damage your remote terminal. either get a new one of the same thread count or salvage a used 95+ one.

I replaced them out of caution on my 93 92 and 91, but only the 94 gave me probelms. must have been a batch of faulty nuts!

• 1 month later...

i was driving my car this morning and i heard that noise ocming from the dash and i finally pinned it on something. it has to do with my rear defroster when it heats up i guess it screws with something in the dash, possibly a relay or something,??????? when i shut it off it stops when i turn it on it starts again :willynilly:

well when i open the compartment i take out the insert which leads me to the fuse panel, and to the left in the back,(looks very difficult to get to) i think that that may be where the relay is, thats why i would like to find out for sure

also i must ask. i know my 94 has a timed domelight but what about the parking lights and headlights. i ask this because the other day i left my parking lights on for awhile and when i came back out the switch was on but the lights were off ??????????????? :idea:

also i must ask. i know my 94 has a timed domelight but what about the parking lights and headlights. i ask this because the other day i left my parking lights on for awhile and when i came back out the switch was on but the lights were off ??????????????? :idea:

:exclaim:

did they turn back on when you started the car or opened/unlocked the door?

have you replaced that stupid nut? or found the rear defrost timer?

the nut is fine it has been for about 2 years because when i bought the car i did 2 nuts on the terminal. and when i open the door and turn on the ignition the lights come right back on r if i turn the switch. as for the rear defroster i think i see the grey relay and timer towards the rear of the hvac. and also the same day my defroster stopped the knob for my glove compartment knob fell off :twisted: :twisted:. i was pissed. my car never has anything rigged until now. but it will be fixed by tomorrow. i am not wuite sure how to get to the timer yet but i will soon find out

yeah i think ill look for one at the j/y and try to find one already taken apart, but thats not such a big deal, my big thing is i really would like to find a hud unit before spring when i tear my dash apart anyhow. i must add that tonight when i went to stop at a light my gas gauge pegged higher than i have ever seen it and i only had half a tank. (i am using the standard cluster for the winter with the oginal harness), and this morning when i started my car my security light stayed on for awhile, anyone else with any probs. I am posting pics of the ub3 cluster because i need to know what the connector is for. it is the white connector in the center of the pic