Weird turn signal problem

Karps TA

Hi guys, Newbie to this board.

I have a 93 Grand Prix Special Edition. 3.1

A couple of weeks ago I got a little smoke coming out of the steering column. It's happend before every once in a great while. But never caused a problem. Having worked at a dealer I recalled this happening, and it was no big deal. However a day later the turn signals stopped working. They would come on but not blink. The flashers work fine. I checked the turn signal switch in the column and found one of the contact to be a little black, obviously that's where the smoke came from. I cleaned the contacts and the turn signals would sporadically work for a day then back to not flashing.

So last nite I got a new turn signal switch and I replaced it. Same result. Lights go on but don't flash. Is there a flasher relay or something in these cars? I didn't think I saw one. Any clues on what else I need to check? Kinda stumped on what my next step should be.

Thanks

Its the turn signal switch in the column. All three of my cars did that... smoke from the column, then they stopped working. Replace that and it'll be fine.

usally they stop blinkin if u need to replace a bulb n u have to manualy keep hittin the switch for light to blink try replacin all ur blinka bulbs to see what u gte for results since u already tried the switch n just cuz the seem to light up dont mean the bulbs r workin

Replace the flasher under the column.

YEah, it prolly got fried or something to that effect. IT's right next to the pedals, after removing the access cover you'll see it

Thanks guys!

For some reason I didn't think newer cars still used flashers. I thought by now they'd be integrated into something. I'll look for that.

Most newer cars use solid-state flashers these days, but W-bodies are still a bit old-tech and use thermal flashers... and 2 separate ones at that (one for t-sig, one for hazards).

my cruise works off and on, and my turn signal will sometimes only work if you press up and hold it in the right blinking signal postion. I have seen smoke out of my collum before. Should i replace my turn signal collum? I kinda of think all my problems are related. help, Thanks,

that will probaly fix my turn signal, but how about the cruise. It works oft and on, and when it does it usually has a 5-10 sec delay, so it downshifts to get back to speed. Anybody know what could cause that, i'm lost. Thanks,