Found proportioning valve (Subject edited 11-22-06 - 9:27AM) Thanks : )

Larry M

I can't locate a replacement proportioning valve for my TGP. Does anyone here know of one that is availalble somewhere?

Are they the same as proportioning valve any other models of car that you know of?

Thanks for all of your help. : )

I wonder what the difference is between Part No. 18060048 and Part No. 88927272.

where'd you get the first number? looks to cheap to be the right part :willynilly:

When I talk to the parts guys, they have said that there is another prprortioning valve. like for the frone wheels and located further forward then the driver, other than the rear. I wouldn't know. Sure wish I had a Parts Manual, if they still make those other than for a computer to look up. I may have to visit a dealer.

I mean, what the heck. Only one proportioning valve will work? And if there aren't any available, what then?

You'd think any rear proportioning valve from any w-body car with PMIII ABS would work, wouldn't it?

Now my list of unavailable parts includes moonroof microswitch and rear proportioning valve. I guess I'll just have to top off fluid each week or sooner, forever! Yuck.

I'm open to suggestions. I'm not through looking.

There must be a junker somewhere that has one that would work.

You'd think any rear proportioning valve from any w-body car with PMIII ABS would work, wouldn't it?

Maybe I was unclear, but who said that they wouldn't?

Well, I found a guy who located one and I've ordered it with overnight shipping and tax for about $170 or less. I'll have Jeff M put it in. I am tired of bothering with it, but damned glad I located one. I was afraid gmpartsdirect.com was not reliable and might tell me after ordering that part was actually not available, after all.

But, I have confidence that this will be the correct part and it is the GM Part#88927272. I'll pick it up at the same GM dealer where I took my old Pace Car for service. Only one mechanic out of 25-30 knew anything about my McLaren Turbo Coupe and what made it work and what made it screw up on occasion. He had been a mechanic on the Winston Cup circuit. Now he fixes Aztecs. ; )

They even installed a used gas tank that I went to a junkyard and had removed for me by workers there. Try getting a dealer to to install a used gas tank! BTW, inside the old gas tank and the reasons for replacing it were two: 1] the wiring for the fuel level float assy showed signs of burning near the connector, inside the gas tank. They recommended replacement and GM wanted $2,000 or some other ridiculous amount for one., and 2] some other unremembered reason like the gas tank had a leak ot top or bottom.

My wife loved having me haul my 'new' gas tank in her car. LOL

Dealership employees watched as my rusted out heater? pipes burst in their shop. Perhaps engine was running a bit warm at the time, in spite of 160ºF. thermostat. Mechanic patched them with rubber hosing and piping never gave any more trouble.

Also, at another time, requiring patching, was gas line, under hood, near exhaust. I'd wondered what that gasoline smell was coming from.

ANother time, after failing emissions test , girl tester, sia "I think you're car is going to overheat. I got in and neddle was pegged, so I drove to parking lot, shut down car and watched as coolaant caused a river of green thar ran downhillthe length of the parking lot. It was truly amazing. Car cooled down in 20-30 minutes and i drove it, having to stop once to aloow it to coll for another 20 minutes, then made it back to my local shop to allow to cool and to refill with anti-freeze. Found one fan out and ordered and replaced it. Engine still seemed great. Think the dash of Lucas Oil Treatment that I used to quiet engine also helped avoid seizures under hot startup conditions at that time. And I used Castrol Full Synthetic 10W-30 since about 2002 or longer . ; )

It took another catalytic converter, second in two years to pass test. But they said car passed in shortest time ever seen, being 187 seconds. Best by three seconds, he said. No overheating, no problem. Also had new plugs, wires, cleaned K&N.

What a great TGP, and completely equipped for the 30mph, four-car holeshot. The the Corvettes and 396's would fly by at 90mph, very loudly, but seemingly embarrassed, since I was just cruising along doing 30-35 mph. Game over. ; )

RIP, after 193,000 super miles. : )

Here's their email response, which took about 24 hours.

"Thanks for your inquiry to http://www.gmpartsdirect.com.

Here are your part numbers you requested.

88927272 brake proportioning valve. Currently the valve is on backorder

from GM. There is not an estimated time when GM will have stock

available."

Glad I found one anywhere. Whew. : )

I now have someone I can relate to about the fuel pump/sender wire starting to melt. I bought a new sender for $300 and my sixth fuel pump is now making all kinds of howling sounds. If it burns up(may want to replace it before that, :rolleyes: cant wait) I will use my lifetime warranty to get it replaced again and wash out the tank. I think the sock keeps getting dirty, so what I did on the other car is wash it out w/water then drained and dumped in like 1/2 gallon of denatured alcohol to dry it out then drained it again and white fluid (water/alcohol) drains out. then replaced the sound deadening on the outside of the tank. makes it nice and quiet. then found THAT sender is broken :rolleyes: back to the yard. :neutral:

Hey, GP:

Yes, we can relate to that potentially expolsive problem with TGP gas tanks, fuel pump, and sending unit. Perahps none ever blew up, but then how would we know that. I'd imagine the drivers are still in orbit, like that commercial on tv these days. (Knock on wood.) : )

The glove box works properly on the new car, but Pontiac couldn't seem to repair it. I always had to push in on the glovebox door when I pressed the release button. My govebox code has never been set on the new TGP. It's still at 0-0-0. I'll have to look in manual to see how to set it since I've forgotten how.

The gas cap lid now stays shut. I had to use velcro to make mine stay closed. Clip and spring assy got sprung and new part would need to be riveted in an impossible position for riveting.

All instruments work fine, but INTERCOOLED TURBO is not lit. Jeff M will probably take care of that, I think. It's one of his nice little extras for TGP's. And cost was reasonable last time. Don't know why Pontiac ever painted over that part of the lighted speedo panel.

Too bad that Pontiac didn't put out one comprehensive Operator's Manual, instead of the Regular SE manual and the Turbo Grand Prix Supplement. Imagine, it would be about the size of a Bible. :cool:

So, I ordered the rear proportioning vvalve and an hour later, one showed up that had been on order for ten days. The dealer who ordered was pretty sure it wasn't coming. But it did. So I called and tried to cancel the order; Don't know yet. I may own two soon. LOL

But maybe not. The REALLY SAD part is that I may have exhausted my good graces with a parts man par excellence, with contacts for GM parts that go outside the normal networks that dealers can access. I'll have to really be sure before ever asking him for such a favor again.

Glad I've got you guys. You are a GREAT SOURCE OF INFORMATION. Thanks for helping me out. : )

So, you got an email from GMPartsdirect stating that the part was on back order?

Hell, I ordered mine from them last week and never got such an email. Maybe I should inquire about it.