TSTE not doing so well

dbtk2

:sad: :cry:

Been gone a while, been busy with school and other things, but wanted to post about my STE.

I have been driving my GP GT around daily since I bought it in Feb, but I've been driving the STE on the side as well. Well, I had a channel plate gasket failure in the tranny on my GP GT (my own fault due to shift kit install screw up) and was unable to drive the GT for a few weeks. Well I was driving the STE regularly and starting playing with it a little bit. Put an old manual boost controller on it and turned the boost up a little bit and little stuff like that. Drove the car for a little while like that with no issues. I was running ~13psi boost and was doing it on 87 octane with no KR. My primary cooling fan also took a shit so it kept running hot when I would sit at stoplights and whatnot, but didn't seem like a big deal. So I was running late for class one morning and didn't get a chance to let the car warm up. I started it up and drove down the road, well there was some traffic I had to merge into and forgetting how easy it was to spool the T25 at light throttle, I went ~1/3 throttle, since it was cold out it instantly spiked 14psi, it seemed to feel like it started missing to me at that point, but I wasn't sure because I let out of the throttle about as quickly as I got into it. So I drive a little bit further and get on the throttle a little, and it was definately missing. Got home from class and checked all the plugs, they were all firing, all injectors were firing as well. Compression test told me I got owned though.....no compression on cyl. 6 (front drivers side). I blew the headgasket right there obviously. I would guess the head warped probably the day before and when it got boost so quickly when it wasn't warm and fueling went lean it went then. Luckily I was installing the tranny in the GP GT at that time and had it fixed two days later and have been driving it since.

But, now I have to find some time to tear the STE down and fix it. It was going to get some fun mods, I was planning a gt2871r and a getrag 284 swap but its looking like those probably won't happen now. Not sure what I want to do to it now.

Was actually thinking about putting together a turbo L67 setup since I have a complete L36 topend and can get a bottom end for cheap, throw that in there with a t68 on it or something like that and it should run pretty well....

crikey! why were you running 87?

No reason not too. Car got no KR on 13psi+ psi with any amount of throttle in 90* weather. Had like 16* timing too. The 87 octane doesn't have anything to do with the head gasket failure. Why pay more for premium when it runs just as well on the regular (it actually seemed to run better)? My setup is far from stock and with the better flowing topend, combined with the P&P'd heads, and the cam, 87 octane with that little amount of timing (stock topgun chip timing) with that little bitty turbo shouldn't be an issue. I never saw so much as a blip of KR on 87 octane.