foam in the car

Garrett Powered

wanted to use foam on my JL component install to demonstrate its capabilities....

pods are done!!!!

2056262_152_full.jpg

masked and ready.

2056262_161_full.jpg

2056262_162_full.jpg

easy as hell...

2056262_165_full.jpg

2056262_160_full.jpg

ready to carve with a razor knife

I practice foamed on a ford. try it out in the junkyard first if you are worried. experiment a little. then decide what is worse, the damage the subwoofer makes, the extra weight of the dynacrap, or the possibility of a slight warp. thing is, just take your time and really think things out before you start. I have done four different trunk lids sucessfully eliminating trunk lid slap. another trick is to inject silicone caulk in the back of the trunk lid foam gasket. I just heard that one and will be trying it real soon. would not recommend it to you guys without trying it myself first. :wink:

finished up the panels last night.

2056262_167_full.jpg

going to foam the x-overs into place on the back of the panel.

2056262_168_full.jpg

Silicone caulk in the gasket, eh? I'd like to see how that one turns out.

I might try some foam sometime, but I think it will do in on my rear deck if anything. Guess I'll just do a little at at time.

BTW, by how many times does it expand?

I ordered a Boston 4 channel amp for them, the GT-42 model. its 4x 75 watts and the JLs take 70 watts RMS. It will grossly overpower the 6x9s and will have to turn the gain way down on the rear channel, but thats the way I wanted it. too much work installing to under power the speakers and possibly damage them that way. the JL x-overs eat most of that power. heavy little basterds.

will hear them for the first time next week sometime is my guess.

Should be a nice amp to power them.

I finally just picked up a set of crossovers for my components. They are 9 way adjustable, so I can fine-tune the midrange and the rolloff of the tweeter(I hate sharp sounding tweeters!).