any knowledgable mechanics ?

Steve LS

I know few here have the 3800 but maybe some of you are mechanics that have dealt with a similar problem - here it is.

91 Regal - L27 I believe. Wouldnt idle a month back but ran OK other wise so I took it to my "guy" and it was the MAF. He replaced it and it ran fine for 3- 4 weeks now.

Tonight - Im really pushing it comming home for running out of gas. Pull in and sit and wait for pumps, just idleing alls fine I get a pump, shut it off and fill up. When I leave it runs like shit, wont accelerate coughs and can hardly get any speed. Pull over unplug maf, still runs bad but will rev up so I limp home, but it runs OK once it gets settled into a speed and throttle position. I tried the old MAF back in and it runs just as bad not just the old idle problem it had but as bad as with the new MAF pluged in. I can drive it and get to work unpluged if it doesnt get worse, but I cant get anywhere with the MAF pluged in.

? = Do you think its the new MAF or is it another problem that the ECM can deal with if the MAF is unpluged ? Why it happened in conjuction with this very low tank Im not sure but I never did run out and it did start right up and leave the gas station fine but them would not accelerate. I did check for fuel pressure and I have pressure and the pump is pumping. What the PSI is I dont know but there is a fair amount of pressure, so I didnt plug up the fuel system or fry the pump which i originally figured, and remember it runs fair with the MAF unpluged.

Guest Anonymous

Sounds like the filling an almost empty tank may have stirred up some dirt. You might have good fuel pressure but it could be clogging up on and off. Just pull your fuel filter off and check for dirt in it or the line.