Radio "Issues" - 91 Grand Prix GT

Guest Guest

Oh, great learned ones I seek your knowledge.

I have a 91 Grand Prix GT (vin "X") with HUD, streeing wheel controls, driver info centre, and a missbehaving radio/tape (code UX1 with UWA speakers)

I have loud "motorboating" and popping in all speakers with engine running or not and alternator/ignition noise. Radio sound/signal is present and weak but, varies with controls, the motorboating does not. Clock works, lights work as do the steering wheel controls. I haven't tried the tape player yet.

The questions are: Is the amplifier bad? How do I find it? (my factory manual is no help) Or, is the radio a goner? Which raises the question of why don't I put a CD player in? Which brings up the last question of which ones would work (besides 91-93)? I would like to stay a "older" Pontiac HU so that the style/colour matches and still have the cool orange lights.

Help would be of much help.

TIA

I've checked some more and I found the amplifier :redface:. It seems to good - when I unplug it the door speakers make no sound and the noise continues in the front and rear speakers.

So, the radio is a goner (doh).

I guess the question is: Which models/years CD player would work?

TIA

You can head to a junk yard and they can tell you exactly what years will be plug and play. I forgot the year that they changed the harness.

Personally, I would just upgrade the HU, instead of trying to keep it factory. You will get much better sound along with alot more features.