IP Carrier ( Update with pics )

19Cutlass94

Does anyone know where to get one thats not broken? Every single cutlass Ive seen the j/y, the IP carrier is broken. I believe this is why I am getting all these noises over bumps and why the passengers side bounce a little bit over the bumps. Ive tried the best I can to fix it, but Im out of ideas other than a brand new one/one thats not broken. I would hate to see what GM would get for one, let alone if they even carry them anymore. If you know where I can get a good one, or have any ideas on supporting the IP Carrier better ( since GM didnt do a very good job ) lemme know. Im kinda getting sick of having to turn up my stereo so I dont hear anything...

Thanks

Same thing with mine too. I ended up rigging something like this up that eliminated any shake...funny looking but it worked:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/771000-771999/771265_100_full.jpg

I rigged up something ghetto as well, but it seems like after a while of driving around on these nice and smooth NY roads, I have to take the dash pad off and fix it again. Not only that, but everytime I go over a bump I can hear it, because its a heavy duty exhaust hanger holding it up, and you can hear that metal hanger rubbing on the plastic. I mean I know of a way I can make that go away, but still over every bump, the dash goes crazy, and I would try that, but Im afraid that Ill break it even worse.

Mine isn't broken there, but it is where the pad bolts to the defroster ducts because I forgot there were screws there...... :redface:

I would rather have that problem than the actual carrier being broken. I dont understand how some people have never heard of this happening, and other say its a common problem! :lol:

But yeah, those are broken on mine too :(

Mine isn't broken there, but it is where the pad bolts to the defroster ducts because I forgot there were screws there...... :redface:

Me too. :redface: But AFAIK, thats all thats broken on mine. My dash doesn't bounce around at all, And the roads here are so wonderfully smooth :rolleyes: :lol:

The two on the right of my 89 are broken there. I wouldn't be surprised if they were broken on the 94 (don't remember them being broken, but my memory isn't that great).

My dash used to shake really badly. I bought GM's reinforcement kit for the 89 and it doesn't shake so badly anymore. I don't think there is any point at all to buy a new IP carrier. It's just thin, brittle plastic and will break again. I would just use sheetmetal reinforcements and rivet them to the dash.

The two on the right of my 89 are broken there. I wouldn't be surprised if they were broken on the 94 (don't remember them being broken, but my memory isn't that great).

My dash used to shake really badly. I bought GM's reinforcement kit for the 89 and it doesn't shake so badly anymore. I don't think there is any point at all to buy a new IP carrier. It's just thin, brittle plastic and will break again. I would just use sheetmetal reinforcements and rivet them to the dash.

GM has a reinforcement kit?!

Orginally I was going to say get a new carrier but if that's GM's fix than I would rig something up. But, I would rig something up better than what ToroToro did, IMO.

Had. It was long discontinued even when I bought it in 1995. It consisted of 2 parts, an upper piece and a lower piece. I had parts locators, called a ton of dealers, I eventually found one that had it. It was something like $70 for a rusty piece of stamped sheetmetal which I de-rusted and painted. At the time, they said I got the last one in the nation. It was so hard to get back then, I think it'd be completely pointless to try today. You could rig something up with some scrap sheetmetal. I don't think I took pics of mine, but I do still have the TSB with drawings of it on my home PC somewhere.

Im deffinatly going to have to rig something up. Now the new thing is everytime at a stoplight, the thing rattles, and its all the way over at the passengers side A piller. I cant reach it, go figure. But Ill have to see what I have sitting in the garage to fix this.

I would imagine I could bolt somthing up to the lower dash mount, but then I duno where to go. I mean theres really no other mounts other than the fire wall...

Had. It was long discontinued even when I bought it in 1995. It consisted of 2 parts, an upper piece and a lower piece. I had parts locators, called a ton of dealers, I eventually found one that had it. It was something like $70 for a rusty piece of stamped sheetmetal which I de-rusted and painted. At the time, they said I got the last one in the nation. It was so hard to get back then, I think it'd be completely pointless to try today. You could rig something up with some scrap sheetmetal. I don't think I took pics of mine, but I do still have the TSB with drawings of it on my home PC somewhere.

I just think its funny that GM had something like this.

I just think its funny that GM had something like this.

GM R&D: We're having massive complaints about the dash having the gibblies.

GM: ....

R&D: We found out all the IP carriers are cracking

GM: .... so....what do you want

R&D: Well under warranty maybe it'd be best to repla...

GM: No, no, out of the question

R&D: ...

GM: What?

R&D: What do we do with the complaints?

GM: Glue it or something, how much does glue cost?

R&D: Couple bucks? We can use structural adhesive which will be stro...

GM: ...Blu bleh blue

R&D: What about fabricating a bolt-in bracket to fix the problem?

GM: Well how much will this cost?

R&D: We'll have the chinese make it, then we can mark it up 600%. This isn't a warranty issue, this is a comfort issue.

GM: ...kay!

• 2 weeks later...

Well heres the pictures of the damage:

Picture%2D01%20001.jpg

Picture%2D01%20002.jpg

Picture%2D01%20003.jpg

Picture%2D01%20004.jpg

Heres the fix that I have. Its a piece of 1/8" heavy duty exhuats hanger, wrapped in some toolbox padding so it wont make too much noise.

Picture%2D01%20005.jpg

With it installed

Picture%2D01%20006.jpg

Doesnt seem like too much, but until it warms up, and I can take this dash pad off again, and come up with more bracing, Id have to say that this will work for now.

Look in the last picture. I have it mounted to the firewall so that its holding up that side of the IP carrier.

OHH, so its not a brace then, its just a "hook" then?!

Look in the last picture. I have it mounted to the firewall so that its holding up that side of the IP carrier.

yeah basically. I mean its not the best thing ever done, but it should hold it decently for now. I just have to figure out what else I can do.

yeah basically. I mean its not the best thing ever done, but it should hold it decently for now. I just have to figure out what else I can do.

Well I would make a brace rather than something that stops the dash from sagging.

Well I would make a brace rather than something that stops the dash from sagging.

ohh Deffinatly. I just have to figure out where Im going to brace it, and what supports and where ya know?