there anyway to change the direction of windshield wipers??

Dreamgerlx

Hey guys im new to this board.. i dont like the way the cutlass supremes have the windshield wipers go in from left to right and right to left, meeting in the middle, i think thats ugly on my car imo, is there anyway i could change the direction? help? LoL

First off, welcome! Hope you find some useful information for you Cutlass. Well, the wiper situtation is for all W-Bodies. Bummer huh? It really can't be modified by a beginner. If you want the standard wiping motion, you'll need to move the exisiting motor from the side of the car to the middle, and wire it in to so that it wipes the direction desired. Sounds too messy for me to care and I don't want to be cutting holes and realize I don't like the modification. I personally enjoy the integrated wipers, especailly in the mountains with all the junk that gets put down on the road, I, the driver can see the entire road with the sweep pattern of the wipers.

- RedFox340

haha i see i see, yea its my baby cutty.. 96, white ... i love it.. its in excellent condition too, but you see, im by new york.. no mountaining, and for some reason it just irked me that mine had to be different and go in the wierd direction (since all the other cars ive owned have not) if i took it to a place to get done, do you think it would be too much a hassle?

Thanks for the reply so fast, i dont even want to know how stupid i sound... but thanks alot :wink: :D

if i took it to a place to get done, do you think it would be too much a hassle?

No offense, but honestly who would do such a thing? Not even a custom body man would keep a straight face.

Honestly, I see it as something unique to the vehicle that no one really has taken up on.

Keep it, it'll grow on you.

- RedFox340

Hey guys im new to this board.. i dont like the way the cutlass supremes have the windshield wipers go in from left to right and right to left, meeting in the middle, i think thats ugly on my car imo, is there anyway i could change the direction? help? LoL

Useless mod. Save your money for performance parts.

RAIN-X :lol:

I use that stuff, and I RARELY need to turn my wipers on. :wink: And personally, the pre-97 wipers are a lot better than the 97+ ones. The 97+ wipers leave a line right IN FRONT of the driver. That gets really annoying. At least the wipers on my 90 take the water/snow/dirt out to the edges. :D

Many minivans have these wipers because the windshield is so curved and raked up. Same for these cars, and I think they work better than the usual wipers, they dont put a line of water in the drivers line of vision every 2 seconds. Plus you can use 24" wiper blades on them without any problem

I love my wipers gets rid of the little spot right in the middle that stays there with "normal" wipers. plus they tuck down under the hood so people can mess with them when your not around. Not sure what the joke is by putting peoples wipers up but it annoys me. Good thing they can't do it to mine :D. Welcome to the board I hope you find all the information you need.

Laterz,

William Grimmer

I dunno why you would wanna change them?

The wipers on these cars is cool looking and unique. They clear off a LOT more of the windshield than normal wipers. Look around and you will find very few cars with wipers like this. I can't believe you would want to change these cool, unique wipers for boring, ordinary wipers?!?!

If you really wanted to, you might be able to adapt a 95-99 Monte/Lumina wiper assembly and cowl panel, although I don't know for sure that it would work. I do think those cars had the ordinary, boring, run-of-the-mill wiper system though.

Well, honestly, this is the first time I've heard of anyone wanting to make a W-body more ordinary than it already is. :)

Guest Anonymous
this is the first time I've heard of anyone wanting to make a W-body more ordinary than it already is. :)

W-body's are ordinary? :lol: You can say that again.

I like the "wierd" wipers. The only problem I have with them is that ice likes to collect in that little spot under the hood and they get covered with it.

Guest Anonymous
I like the "wierd" wipers. The only problem I have with them is that ice likes to collect in that little spot under the hood and they get covered with it.

:withstupid: That's my only problem with them also. I always clean out around the wipers every morning during the winter. Saves alot of wear on them.

I have that problem too. Penny doesn't take the time to thoroughly clean out the wipers, so the wiper linkages on her '88 got bent up twice. However, my truck's wipers are fully exposed and I had this problem last winter on it too. Penny didn't clean the ice off the wipers, and when she turned them on, there was a POP and the passenger side wiper quit working. Turns out the shaft just grinded out the knurling on the wiper arm, so all I had to do was realign and torque it down. I really think we need heated cowls though.

It probably wouldn't really take that much designing.

I envisioned that it would use a sheet of plastic with a wire grid embedded in it. The plastic would be cut out shaped like the metal cowl and self-adhesive on one side. The sheet of heated plastic would be stuck onto the inside of the cowl. Very similar to how the heated mirrors work on my Silverado.

I wish I knew how/where to get something like this made!

i think they rock. Look arround, and see how many CARS actually have wipers like that too. The only problem I have had, is that since they are recessed, when it ices, its a pain, but tahts it.

But, with the conversion, its possible. Remember when ricers just became big, right after Fast and The Furrious? Well, a big thing (here) was to have one HUGE wiper in the middle. The local places would mess with the stopers and such. And it was somwhat actually legal here! They also removed and covered the old hole.

Jon

I think my wiper motor is failing :?

the wipers only move about 60% of the speed my brothers does.... that's one thing about W-Body wipers... on max, they're damn quick

I think the way our wipers operate are great, they're fully functional and they're actually unique. The wiper's "sweep coverage" is also good because it's a lot wider and covers more of the passenger-side area of a windshield than regular wipers that only move in one direction.

But that's just my opinion...

First off, welcome! Hope you find some useful information for you Cutlass. Well, the wiper situtation is for all W-Bodies. Bummer huh? It really can't be modified by a beginner. If you want the standard wiping motion, you'll need to move the exisiting motor from the side of the car to the middle, and wire it in to so that it wipes the direction desired. Sounds too messy for me to care and I don't want to be cutting holes and realize I don't like the modification. I personally enjoy the integrated wipers, especailly in the mountains with all the junk that gets put down on the road, I, the driver can see the entire road with the sweep pattern of the wipers.

- RedFox340

Shawn, you should be an engineer for GM! Perhaps you can bring some decent ideas to their design table.

I, on the other hand, can work with their stylists and get them to stop building cars that look like the Goddamn Pontiac Aztek and such.

Damn, what's going on in our favourite car manufacturer?

I envisioned that it would use a sheet of plastic with a wire grid embedded in it. The plastic would be cut out shaped like the metal cowl and self-adhesive on one side. The sheet of heated plastic would be stuck onto the inside of the cowl. Very similar to how the heated mirrors work on my Silverado.

i *love* the sweeping wiper motion these cars make. they clear more area, they hide away, and they go fast as hell. i especially love how they tuck away, i can keep my radar detector so low to the dash and not have its view obstructed by the wipers (why do people do this [put the detector rght behind the wipers]. wouldnt common sense tell you thats KILLING its line of sight? :gone2far: ). I also have the ice problem in the winter. ive never had it happen to me, but when my mom owned my old 91 LE she was driving on the highway with the wipers on hi and somehow they got stuck! i dont know how to explain it, they caught each other on the way down and she had to turn them off so theyd go back up, then down. then turn them back on. i was in the car when this happened. weird

Shawn, you should be an engineer for GM! Perhaps you can bring some decent ideas to their design table.

I, on the other hand, can work with their stylists and get them to stop building cars that look like the Goddamn Pontiac Aztek and such.

Damn, what's going on in our favourite car manufacturer?

:peace: You two could save GM