Has anybody ever had a leak at the right front corner of the roof?

Larry M

First problem: Leak allowing water to drip a few drops from wet headliner? Yes, it is now an all-weather car, though we do have a garage. When our son got his first, second, third, fourth, and fifth cars, I stowed my TGP on the street, beneath a tree. Often I forgot and left the sunroof open. Sometimes it rained.

Now the 'new TGP' will reamain in the garage at night, next to wifey's. But we'll probably use salt on the roads again this winter, here in Chicago, so I know it can't be perfect for a w- or any other body. Most winters, I get my minimum daily requirement of sodium by breathing it. LOL

Have you ever checked the drain for the sunroof pan. How can I check it? Maybe the leak(s) are at the windhield gasket. And how about the suspicious black metal trim piece at the side?

Do sunroof seals shrink through time?

Does anybody have an extra/avilable 'moonroof microswitch' that mounts aft of the cutout. Mine is bad so difficult to ensure that roof is in most waterproof position.

I don't think Google, Wikipedia, or AOL have the answers I need, but I have EVERY confidence that I'll get some of the proper answers right here. :razz:

All you do to check the drains is take a spray bottle and fill the tray around the sunroof; there are 2 drains up front (fairly small) and then, you take a long piece of safety wire and stick it down the drains (like a roto-rooter) until the water drains behind each of the front wheels. (left drain drains behind left front wheel, right drain drains behind right front wheel.) There are also rear drains, but I wouldn't bother with them, since they are very difficult to access and the drains are tiny enough that the rears shouldn't make a difference.

You should check the rears also. One of my rear drain tubes was clogged, but the leak into the cab was actually up by the front of the sunroof. I'm not sure where the 2 door rear drain tubes go, but on a 4 door, you just remove the black vents in the rear door jamb and the rear tubes are right there. There's a thread in the general section I think where I talked about this with another member.

EDIT: Here ya go, maybe there is some useful info here, I can't remember. http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,52019.0.html

in the coupe the tubes run down the back walls and drain out a tiny sideways hole in the bottom of the fender. then run off the bottom lip of the ground effects.

After speaking with Jeff M in Minnesota on the phone, I decided that

rodding the drain pipe with safety wire might not be necessary.

I used a measuring cup from the kitchen and I poured some into the sunroof drip pan drain holes. It went right down the tubes and ended up on the floor right away. So, I concluded the problem is at the sides of the car, where there appeared to be a couple of voids, between windhield and gasket (tiny opening), and AT THE SIDES OF THE CAR in vicinity of top of metal trim piece on each side.

So, I went for some sealant and bought Permatex Ultra Black Gasket Maker, in a tube. I sealed all of the areas that seemed suspect. I ran extra sealant down the side just behind the winsdhield at the sides. Now I'll have to wait for rain or car wash to know more. Hope it never rains. LOL

He said that rodding with anything shouls be doubled over to avoid catching pointy end of wirre in rubber hosing, etc.

At any rate, drains are clear and must not have been the problem.

Someone else (not Jeff M) compared it to roto rooter, that's where I think I picked up the 'rodding' concept. : )