New speaker install

digitaloutsider

I got some open box Infinity Reference 5012i 5.25" speakers for the front of the Regal to replace the shitfuck Durabrands that were in there. To be fair, I only had the durabrands because my OEM ones blew, and those were the only thing I could afford then, so don't shoot me :lol:

Here are the install pics:

Old speaker and mount out:

reference1.jpg

"Accumat" installed. It's Scoche's Dynamat ripoff I got for $5 on clearance at Wally World:

reference2.jpg

Mount in place:

reference3.jpg

Speaker in place with the door tweeter harness:

reference4.jpg

These things are such a gigantic step up from the stock, and a world of difference from the shitty Durabrands. I got them for $39 shipped and I couldn't be happier for the price I paid. I'm running Lighting Audio 6x9's in the back, and they were overpowering what I had in the front. I normally wouldn't run LA speakers, but seeing as how the back were blown too, and they're a good 3-way speaker for cheap, they fit the bill perfectly. The back has plenty of treble and bass (I've also got the subs, remember?), and the front sounds crisp and sweet.

Great speakers for the money, IMHO.

(According to the pictures that came with the Accumat, the stuff is supposed to be mounted behind the baffle/mount and to the sides of it to reduce vibration. I installed it where I did to cut down on the amount of noise you can hear outside the car. Before you could hear the music perfectly outside. Now it's muffled quite a bit, so it worked just the way I wanted it)

So now my setup is:

Front door: 5.25" Infinity Reference 5012i speakers

Front tweeter: Stock Delco

Rear deck: 6x9" Lightning Audio 3-ways

Sub/amp: 2 12" old-school Kicker XPL subs with Kicker amp (can't remember the model number off hand).

So, what do you guys think?

Looks pretty good, although I think with a little work, you could fit 6.5" in there! :wink: :lol:

Ive ran Infinity's for the longest time, and they are a great speaker, never had a problem with them, and I still have two Infinity 12" subs sitting in my room. But one thing I have noticed ( I dont know how loud you play your music, or what kinda music ) but the music that I listen to ( like rock, kinda slayer pantera kinda stuff ) the highs got a little too harsh when really being pushed. But really, they should work good for you. And yes, great speakers for the money!

How big are the cones (and the magnets) of those Infinities? Got any side-view pics of the speakers?

Looks pretty good, although I think with a little work, you could fit 6.5" in there! :wink: :lol:

:werd: Agreed 1,000,000%. You'd notice a world of difference if you stepped up to a 6 1/2, and it wouldn't be very hard at all to stuff a set in there - your mounts look alot less "complicated" than the ones that were in my Regal...

You got a kick ass price, where'd you get them??

Did you make that mount?

I got them off Circuit City's eBay store, "Trader Circuit". They were demonstration models, but looked brand new and were in the box when I got them.

The mount comes in the door. You should have the same ones in your car.

How big are the cones (and the magnets) of those Infinities? Got any side-view pics of the speakers?

:werd: Agreed 1,000,000%. You'd notice a world of difference if you stepped up to a 6 1/2, and it wouldn't be very hard at all to stuff a set in there - your mounts look alot less "complicated" than the ones that were in my Regal...

I didn't know if 6.5's would fit, and I don't really have the time to fight with getting them in the car, lol. The Cutlass will probably get 6.5's whenever I get around to doing it's system.

I don't have any pictures of them out of the car, and I don't know how big the cones or magnets are! I can't find that spec on the Internet anywhere, but then again I'm probably not looking very hard :lol:

I know what coaxial means when it comes to cabiling, but are "coaxial" speakers ones like these? The tweeter and woofer share the same unit?

Exactly. "Dual-Cone" speakers are even lower on the food chain, as instead of an actual tweeter, a second paper (or sometimes plastic) cone is glued to the inside of the speaker in close proximity to the voice coil. Most stock speakers fall into the "Dual-Cone" category (as do those $2.99 Wal-Mart speakers.)

So the speaker food chain would go like this:

Separates/Components > Coaxials > Dual-Cones

whizzer cones are sweet!!!! so much powah. ....like 10 watts!

serious though, with a good HU x'd over at at least 100- 1k they make decent tweets temporarily. if their the stock paper ones and not walmrat durabrands.

nice! i wish i would find the time/money/energy to replace the good for fuckin' nothin' fronts in my car

Do you have the Bose system in your car...with the door mounted speakers??

I don't..but I put these JL Audio 4" speakers in my dash...I have the crossovers on my h/u set so not much bass is going to them so they don't distort, etc....they're crystal clear and I love 'em.. dunno the model though.