Door handle question

19Cutlass94

Today my door handle just stopped working. You can unlock the door, but when you pull the outside door handle, the door wont open. I can hear it moving the latch, but it does nothing. The inside door handle works perfect. Could it just not have enough tension? or maybe a wire broke? I havent gotten to take it apart yet ( since Im still at school ) but anyone wanna gimme some info as to what it could be before I dig into it so I know exactly what Im looking for?

Thanks.

I would say that its just out of adjustment. Its really simple to adjust too, just pop off the cover on the inside, pop the rod off the door handle, and turn the little piece (I forget what its actually called) so it come up a little higher. Sorry if you dont understand what I wrote :lol: but you'll know exactly what i mean when you pull off the cover.

There are no wires, simply put there are two rods. There are adjustments on the rods.

Personally, I would just replace the handle at this point. Ohh, aftermarket ones suck.

The only wires that you may find are if you have the illuminated key ring, other than that, its just two rods like stated above. Although I dont think I would replace the door handle unless its already broken, or looks like its about to break. It should work just fine after you adjust it. This has happened to me a couple times, and all that happens is the adjuster would slip down on the threads.

pop the access cover off the door, and observe if the handle is good or broken.

if it is good, I recommend trying to stretch the rod back to shape, as when the start to bend they will only bend worse. do it little at a time, and only enough to function. too much and it will jamb the mechanism.

Do not shut the the door while adjusting the handle. You need to test it as you adjust until you know it is correct, to do so, manually snap the latches shut and test the latch grip with your finger. MOST IMPORTANT! LOCK and UNLOCK the door (do not close it!)once you think your adjustment is correct. then finger test the latch again. adjusting too far will jamb the mechanism when you lock and unlcok. adjust enough but not too much....

Why test the latch with the door open and avaoid shutting the door during the test? if you have adjusted, or stretched the rod too far, you can correct the issue with the door open, with direct access to the rods, but will have to remove the door panel if you have the door closed.

I checked the alignment on it, and it seemed OK. Then I noticed the latch was sticking. So I fooled around with that for a while, cleaning all the shit out of it, and I got to to work fairly good, but I still dont think its 100% correct. Sometime in the near future Ill probably be buying a new latch :( But it kinda works for now. Atleas I can open the door from the outside.

just lube the latch up real good once you clean it out and it should work fine...make sure your door isn't sagged though....you'll know if you look at the striker on the door jam and the top is worn off....what I do is grab the botom of the door with both hands..and wit hthe door fully open fuckin' pull the door up with all your strength..this should bend everything back to where it should be...

LUBE YOUR RODS!! :lol

But seriously if you close the door while ajusting/puting in a new handle that isnt ajusted right you wont be able to open it at all. I changed my handle (pass. side broke :rolleyes:) didnt ajust (not thinking) close door wont open froom outside. Though i didnt fix the problem went to open from inside...nothing. Its not fun when you fuck up.

yeah it turns out I didnt need to adjust anything. The latch was sticking pretty bad. I think I got lucky this time and just had to clean it out and luve it up. Well see how much longer it lasts because it wasnt in the best of shape.

The latch looks like a PITA to replace as well, so I dont think Im going to look forward to replacing it when the time comes...

yeah it turns out I didnt need to adjust anything. The latch was sticking pretty bad. I think I got lucky this time and just had to clean it out and luve it up. Well see how much longer it lasts because it wasnt in the best of shape.

The latch looks like a PITA to replace as well, so I dont think Im going to look forward to replacing it when the time comes...

I've done it. not too bad, it yuou don't mind drilling pop rivets.

Yeah the latch job is a bitch but it was the only option for me. I'd suggest doing it before you end up having to pull the door panel with the door CLOSED to get at the latch and beat the shit out of it until it pops like I did. Of course that was just because of the shitty A1 auto handle.

Basically you just unbolt it, drill out all the rivets on the metal "bracket" that holds the interior handle and lock rods, pop it out of the bracket, and reverse the steps. Its a little over a 90 bucks thru GM. You'll love how your door closes. Mine sounded almost like new afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive never replaced one so it kinda looks like were in the same boat! :lol:

well....I pulled the door handle off of the passenger side....it was a lot easier then I remember :) I will be heading up the j/y this weekend hoping to find on for each side that is in good shape...wish me luck :D

Thats always good, finding out is easier than once thought! If you dont find one in good shape, lemme know and Tuesday Ill get both sides for you, as I know where theres plently of em in great shape.