ebay vs. junkyard

no1kicker

What do you guys prefer? Lately I have just been browsing ebay for parts rather than going to yards. Seems sometimes junkyards forget they are not dealers and their prices scare me. :roll:

Guest TurboSedan

all depends on the salvage yard you go to. but yeah, lots of my TGP parts came from salvage yards, ebay, and also people on this forum. the salvage yards that let you walk back into the yard by yourself are the best. besides getting a good look at what you might be buying, sometimes you can end up with 'pocket fodder' like the Turbo STE badges i have heh heh.

joshua

All depends on the item I'm looking for. If it's large and fairly common (like a hood), I'll look at the local yards and avoid the hassle of shipping. I'll probably get a better deal on it too. And as Josh said...the yards that let you walk around by yourself are great. You never know what you'll find :lol:

Junkyards are starting to piss me off. The last one I went to, I was trying to find some Cutlass Supreme bucket seats. Well he had 2 Cuttys.. one seat was perfect, but the headrest was missing. The Cut next to it had a tore up seat, but the headrest was perfect. So I went up and told the guy I'd take the good seat and the good headrest. Oh holy damn, no. The guy got all defensive for some reason and said I can buy both seats, or none. I'm like, uhhhh nobody is going to buy that other seat.. its all tore up and worth nothing. The guy said, yeah well thats too bad. Give me 50 bucks for the 'bad' seat or leave. Jackass.

Or the last, oh, about 8 junkyards I've been to looking for a HUD dashpad, told me they had nothing. Like I'd go in and ask, and they'd just say no, we don't have any Grand Prixs in our 100,000 acres of wrecked cars. Didn't even look in their computers or let me look or anything.

BUT I've had some good luck with ones.. the guys are more than willing to go take the parts out after I find them and are very reasonable on prices. Oh well.. gotta give and take I guess.

The bad part with ebay is the outrageous shipping UPS and others charge.

I bought a tailgate for my S10 online and it cost $5, but shipping was $36. Still a good buy though.

Theres one junkyard I can go to and get stuff dirt cheap- doors for $50 or less and other stuff even cheaper. Thats where we buy stuff for cars at work.

Some junkyards want diamond money for coal parts.

My friend needed a mirror for an '87 Monte Carlo he had (pics on my site). The junkyard we went to wanted $45 for it. He piad $35, but still- we pulled it and the junkyard most likely hauled the POS we pulled it from out of somebody's yard for free.

Guest Anonymous

The j/y I usually go to used to let you walk around. He had a good amount of w-bodies too. This last time I went he said you can go look but don't touch anything. WTF? Did he think I was going to break something? He has a '91 GP that I wanted to buy hood, fenders, and doors from. (Look just like the TGP) He told me $150 for one door. :shock: Uh nevermind, I don't need those parts anymore. :lol: