Motor Trend article: 2000 Monte Carlo

black_97_ls

Road Test: 2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS

A new Chevy coupe for the good ol' boys

By Matt Stone

Photography by John Kiewicz

"Heritage" design is one of today's In Things: car companies rummage through their past for hits and then patterning new models after them. The hope is that the glow of halcyon days-gone-by will translate to enhanced brand image and increased sales. Not a bad thing; it worked for VW's New Beetle. Chevrolet's Monte Carlo was due for an update and got a dose of its own heritage in the process.

Now sharing platforms with Pontiac's Grand Prix and the also-new Impala sedan, among others, the Monte comes in two flavors: standard LS and sportier SS. The latter packs GM's venerable 3.8-liter V-6, putting 200 horsepower to the front wheels via a four-speed automatic transaxle. Chevy's added a few twists to the chassis to make sure it doesn't twist: engine bay strut tower bar, floorpan reinforcements, and a magnesium cross-car instrument panel support. It all works, as on the road, the chassis feels rigid and flex free.

Styling? Always in the eye of the beholder, but our staff was split. We liked the overall shapes, especially in profile, but the detailing is fussy. The rear spoiler looks like too long an afterthought; the frontal aspect is confused; and we're not sure the fender "eyebrows" were worth copying from that mid-'70s Monte (popularized in an era notable for disco and the leisure suit). Chevrolet hopes you'll like it, but also hopes it appeals to the windaas in the wind that will blow across its flanks while running NASCAR tracks such as Daytona and Talladega. You see, Monte Carlo is NASCAR's winningest nameplate. That sloping rear window and high bustle were designed right from the get-goaand with the involvement of GM Motorsportsawith an eye toward keeping that winning streak intact.

There's certainly no argument with the Monte Carlo's feature content, as our tester just packed it in: leather seating, dual-zone HVAC controls, CD and cassette, standard traction control and 16-inch alloy wheels, four-wheel discs with ABS, and power everything. Though the Series II V-6 may be as old as dust, it certainly works. The 0-60-mph time of 7.3 will handily outdrag the mid-'80s SS V-8arear drive and all. Its low- and midrange torque is your friend. While you won't confuse the SS' handling with that of a BMW M3, it's entertaining enough, given its front-drive, sedan-derived underpinnings and purpose as All-American sporty coupe rather than road racer. There's adequate feel in the steering, the ride is luxo-car smooth without being mushy, and the brakes are a real step forward from many previous GM efforts in terms of feedback and modulation.

We'd hoped the new SS would get the supercharged 240-horsepower version of this powertrain, as offered on the Grand Prix. Not to be. But the Monte Carlo brand and engineering team is quick to say, "Stay tuned for something truer to Chevy's heritage." A V-8, perhaps? We'll see. A supercharged variant is more likely. And what will they call that one, the Full Monte?

Vehicle configuration Front engine, front drive two-door, five-pass.

Engine type 90Int V-6, OHV, 2 valves/cyl.

Displacement ci/cc 231.3/3791

Horsepower 200 @ 5200 RPM

Torque, lb-ft 225 @ 4000 RPM

Transmission type 4-speed automatic

Wheelbase, in./mm 110.5/2808

Base curb weight, lb 3340

Acceleration, 0-60 mph 7.3s

Standing quarter mile 15.5S@89.4 MPH

Braking, 60-0 mph, ft 127

Lateral acceleration 0.79g

Speed through 600-ft slalom 62.4 MPH

EPA fuel economy, mpg, city/hwy. 20/29

Base price $22,295

Price as tested $25,500 (est)

--- this was copied from MotorTrend.com; full credit goes to Motor Trend com.

1129911roadtest2000chevww9.jpg

1129911roadtest2000chevcl0.jpg

I long for the days that 2 doors were available in midsize form :lol: give it a couple years and the MC will be axed too.

sad, isn't it?

They don't sell very well.

i am sure that has NOTHING to do with GM's absolute lack of advertising for them over the last 2-3 years... i think they knew they were gonna be making the camaro and they needed a plant to do it in so they just decided 2-3 years ago which car they could afford to get rid of for now and lets face it a 2 door pseudo sports coupe isn't necessarily a big seller for GM anymore (FWD and V6) big no no as far as GM heritage goes. will we see the monte carlo nameplate again... maybe, but GM will probably bring it back as some ugly ass retro model, and i would honestly be suprised, if they do bring it back, bring it back as a RWD V8

Strangely enough, even though I'm in an area of Import-buying Jewish people (see Census) I see a fair amount of '00-06 Monte Carlos on the road. So they can't be doing THAT bad. Honda Accord coupe and Toyota Solara sales show that there is a market out there for midsize coupes, but lovely GM likes to make certain cars disappear. No ads within the last couple years, and Chevy didn't even put a MC on the floor at the auto show! They had EVERYTHING else though, including the minivan. I bet ya not many people would know a '06+ Monte if they saw it....well besides the rear at least.

thats the problem there is a lot of them on the roads but for some very strange reason that science has yet to discover most are driven by older women... about as far from an automotive enthusiast as you can get... every time i see a dale jr monte on the road with a blue hair driving it i think to myself... "oh the dale jr is such a nice young man... what i can get a car built with him in mind... oh well lets trade in the skylark hunny"