one probably routine question, and one kinda funky one

Bolt_Crank

two things. first: I want to adjust my suspension.... I want to be able to life the car higher for ground clearance... for maybe 8 to 10 inches..... and lower it back to stock height.... or close to it. Possible?

second: my diagnostic shows that I'm getting a MEM-CAL error, the book says it's MEM-CAL (knock sensor) what's up with that? o.o

Guest TurboSedan

don't know about the Mem-Cal stuff, but if you get FFP coilovers you can raise the rear of your car quite a bit, or slam it down on the ground if you want. you gotta pull the wheels off to adjust tho.

joshua

that wouldn't be too much though, at most (I figure) 3 - 4 inches at lift, because there is 6 inches of adjustment, that means from all the way down, it'll move 6 inches up.... I'm assuming it has a 2 - 3 inch drop ability.... most likely drops more than it lifts, though

jeezus, 8-10 inches? Your CV axles will self destruct WELL before you get 8 inches higher than stock. You can only get like 3-4 out of IFS Chevy without a front axle drop. So...in theory..... You'll need special long travel A-arms, maybe mounted to the center of the subframe, for extra travel without being 10 feet wide. Then you're still stuck for axles. Hummer style gearboxes? Trick..... The rear would be easier, extended trailing arms, overarched metal leaf, long ass struts or spacers bolted to the body/top of strut. Or just rip the whole engine/trans out, all front and rear suspension, find a rollover blazer or something and mount your car on top of it.

but, then it wouldn't be a W-Body special ;)

I know I'll have to change the axles.... but yeah, I was just wondering if there was kits for it or something...

I want it rallyified, but with more off road capability... if possible... but a minimum of rallyness

Guest TurboSedan
Or just rip the whole engine/trans out, all front and rear suspension, find a rollover blazer or something and mount your car on top of it.

if you want 8"-10" of lift (!), than mounting your car body on a full size Blazer frame sounds like the easiest way.

joshua

a 1993 Lumina Z34.... and I want ground clearance 'cuz I want it to be a rally car.... or a mega boss off-road looking type device, with half assed off road ability...

a 1993 Lumina Z34.... and I want ground clearance 'cuz I want it to be a rally car.... or a mega boss off-road looking type device, with half assed off road ability...

Wrong frame...

Wrong drive-train...

Wrong pricetag...

Whoa, if you make it up Pikes Peak (at race speeds) here in Colorado with your Z34 intacted, I will worship the ground you walk on. Promise. :lol:

- RedFox340

Wrong frame...

Wrong drive-train...

Wrong pricetag...

Whoa, if you make it up Pikes Peak (at race speeds) here in Colorado with your Z34 intacted, I will worship the ground you walk on. Promise. :lol:

- RedFox340

If I get the chance, I'll go for it ;)

well.... maybe... I've never actually seen Pikes Peak, so I dunno... :oops:

No advice here. Go visit the low ridders forum. I am sure they can hook you up with lift gate pumps and the like. :roll: Couldn't help it guy's.

Actually, I measured once and my Cutlass already has nearly 8" of ground clearance. You could probably accomplish this with air springs.

A complete air suspension will be pretty pricey though. Maybe $5,000 or so since it would have to be a custom setup.

I don't think FWD makes for a very capable off-roader though. You're better off just buying something like an Audi Allroad Quattro which has AWD and adjustable ride height.

Guest Anonymous

I remember my first car. I thought it would be cool to have it sit like a '70s musclecar. So in went the air shocks. Now I laugh about it. (maybe I started the rice fad) :lol:

the Cutlass has 8" of ground clearance? :shock:

is that the top of the suspension, or rideable ground clearance, though?

most likely top of the suspension, right?

I seem to remember measuring it from the bottom of the ground-effects to the ground. I'll have to check it again as that sounds like crossover vehicle ground clearance. :)

O_O

from the bottom of the ground effects is 8" ?? o.o

I didn't think the Z34 was that much lower.... *goes and measures*

okay.... so stock is 8.5" but I wanted to add another 8" or so...

I just measured my Cutty from the floor to the lowest point on the unibody frame, and I have a full 7.5" of ground clearance!

An AWD W-body would have made a pretty capable off-roader. :)

Anyway, you want an additional 8" of lift?

I think you bought the wrong car, what you want is a 4x4 truck!

I didn't think rally racers were lifted at all???

Ha ha ha! I agree with you man. Dude, you need an Audi S4 or a Subaru WRX!

Wrong frame...

Wrong drive-train...

Wrong pricetag...

- RedFox340

okay, so maybe not quite 8" but, I do want more clearance.... and besides, lots of Rally cars are FF ;)

edit: still nothing on my other question, eh? o.o

okay, so maybe not quite 8" but, I do want more clearance.... and besides, lots of Rally cars are FF ;)

edit: still nothing on my other question, eh? o.o

For your other question, you either need a new MEMCAL or a new ECM. At least that'd be my guess.

I'm not sure I understand your definition of a rally car... when I think rally car, I think of something that looks like this:

saab900.JPG

Or even this:

http://webhome.idirect.com/~craig/suz/Suzuki.htm

I don't see 16" of ground clearance on any of those!

Sounds like you wanna go rock crawling or bogging with that kind of ground clearance!

For your other question, you either need a new MEMCAL or a new ECM. At least that'd be my guess.

I'm not sure I understand your definition of a rally car... when I think rally car, I think of something that looks like this:

saab900.JPG

Or even this:

http://webhome.idirect.com/~craig/suz/Suzuki.htm

I don't see 16" of ground clearance on any of those!

Sounds like you wanna go rock crawling or bogging with that kind of ground clearance!

ahhh, true, true I guess... but I do know, stock Z34 is NOT high enough (as per my last experiment.... quite a bit of scraping.... good thing the dirt was soft-ish and I was going slow...) how high to the FFP coil overs lift to, anyway? o.o

and..... what is the rough cost on a new MEMCAL/ECM.....? :?:

I think a new MEMCAL is around $55 and a remanufactured ECM is about $100 with exchange.

It's pretty pricey, but I don't know how you can rule out one or the other without some spare parts to play with.

ahhh, true, true I guess... but I do know, stock Z34 is NOT high enough (as per my last experiment.... quite a bit of scraping.... good thing the dirt was soft-ish and I was going slow...) how high to the FFP coil overs lift to, anyway? o.o

Ah... I say follow the trends of the Dodge Durango / Dakota, the Toyota 4Runner, and the all pianful to work on Volkswagen Eurovan: PUT ON SKIDPLATES! Gawd, I hate those suckers... beware, it's the biggest PITA to remove just to change the damn oil! Grrrrrrr...

- RedFox340