Gas mileage in 1995 Lumina?

SSRACING

It is a mix city/hwy driving.

I wonder if a good tune up would help?

Those plugs on the rear are a pain. Not sure if I want to install new ones or not, looks like a 4hr job.

That would probably help though, along with a good throttle body cleaning.

Well this also depends on how much your stepping into it as well.... Lately Ive been driving like a freakin grandma so well see what my MPG is later on tonight after class

I really do not drive it hard for 2 reasons: 1) it may blow up 2) Look gay hot-rodding a Lumina.

No offense anyone, just kidding there... :biggrin:

I will try the tune up (plugs/wires/injector clean) when I have a day to kill one weekend and post some results. I might get a K&N filter (if they make one for the turd...errr Lumina)

Yea, that doesnt sound too far off then. We usually average about 27 - 28 MPG (imperial gallons) with our 97 lumina. And on the highway, have pulled off 39MPG, and we werent too easy on the car either.

Yep, simple tune-up, and a k&n drop in filter would be your best bet. Hell, if your feeling good about the tune-up, change out your fuel filter. Bet you'll notice a difference(especially if it's original). Before the tuneup, i'd do a can of seafoam though. It'll clean out any carbon build up.

Yeah I agree. The Seafoamed definitly helped my car. It idles lower, and just feels like its running the way it should be. I've even noticed 4th gear shifting at a lower speed! Usually it shifts at 47 MPH. Today it shifted at 45 and it was nice and smooth!

What needs to be removed to access the rear plugs? Not sure if that is covered in my Haynes manual.

What is SeaFoam and how does it work?

Thanks for your help and replies.

Shane

You dont need to remove anything to get to the rear plugs. Im small enough that I just climb up on the motor and reach to get the plugs. Just a simple ratched, swivel extension and a socket.

Seafoam is a top end cleaner that basically cleans out all the shit like carbon.

BTW, I checked my gas mileage last night, and between driving with the heat on, I got 24MPG

Just a couple more questions about SeaFoam.

1) Where do you buy it?

2) Is it an oil additive or gas additive or both? I checked their website and it sounds like they have both?

23mpg isn't too bad, I get that with my 3400 but of course I drive spirited. Doing the rear plugs is a little easier if you remove the ignition coil assembly or the alternator. I favor the ignition assy myself. 4 bolts and it's out.