possible problems in monte

RobertISaar

keep in mind my car has always been like this as far as i can remember

is 1900RPM at 55MPH normal for a 95 Monte LS with all original parts? i'm thinking thats the reason why i'm only getting 24MPG... its got just short of 150,000 miles on it if it makes a difference and original 15"steel wheels with slightly taller tires(205/75-15 compaerd to 205/70-15).

LS should be the 3100 and 25mpg doesn't seem that abnormal....

I'm sure it was possible to get the 3.4 though.

1900 rpm and 55 mph sounds about right. The tires are definately throwing your speedo off though, so I'd try to get the correct ones when possible.

3.33 final gear would cause this wouldn't it? i got 31 MPG before doing the same route now... what gears could i put in here by changing just the chain drive?

forgot about something...replaced the gas tank a couple of years ago because it rusted through and got myself a nickel plated one :mrgreen: can't tell anymore because its got surface rust again :sad:

another thing... my mom has a 2000 grand prix with a 3100 and at 55 mph she is just barely above 1500 rpm, what the difference here?

3.33 final gear would cause this wouldn't it? i got 31 MPG before doing the same route now... what gears could i put in here by changing just the chain drive?

forgot about something...replaced the gas tank a couple of years ago because it rusted through and got myself a nickel plated one :mrgreen: can't tell anymore because its got surface rust again :sad:

another thing... my mom has a 2000 grand prix with a 3100 and at 55 mph she is just barely above 1500 rpm, what the difference here?

Please keep in mind that you are almost comparing apples to oranges.

The 3100 V6 in your Monte is a 60* V6 engine with less displacement and is pretty different from the 3.8 90* V6 found in your mom's GP. If you are traveling at 55mph, *I think* you should be getting higher MPG than you are reporting. In my '94 3100, I get closer to 28-30+ mpg on the rare occasions that I do actually travel at 55mph...I'm usually more 70-80mph. :lol: However, consider this first:

1. Are your tires properly inflated?

2. When was the last time your car had a tune up? (oil change, plugs, wires, coils, etc.)

EDIT: btw I believe your mom's GP also has a different FDR than your monte, but don't quote me on that.

The 3100 V6 in your Monte is a 60* V6 engine with less displacement and is pretty different from the 3.8 90* V6 found in your mom's GP. If you are traveling at 55mph, *I think* you should be getting higher MPG than you are reporting. In my '94 3100, I get closer to 28-30+ mpg on the rare occasions that I do actually travel at 55mph...I'm usually more 70-80mph. :lol: However, consider this first:

2. When was the last time your car had a tune up? (oil change, plugs, wires, coils, etc.)

EDIT: btw I believe your mom's GP also has a different FDR than your monte, but don't quote me on that.

my mom's GP has a 3100 like i said above...

my mom's GP has a 3100 like i said above...

I hadn't drank my coffee yet whe I wrote that...I'm still waking up right now. :redface:

Regardless, did you see my two questions for your consideration?

did everything myself, tires are always inflated properly, oil change no more than 3 weeks ago, plugs and wires 1 1/2 years ago, coils...3,4 years. i get everything done when it should.

I don't believe anything sounds out of wack here.

Having driven a 97 LS and now owning a 01 LS the speed and rpm's don't seem too far off.

what kind of driving was the 24 MPG at?? (highway, city, combined)

On 100% highway I am able to get 29 to 33 MPG. all city driving I'm getting 22 with the 01 (3400 enging and different FDR)