air intakes

per0781

the one i have now is blue (it came with the RSM cold air intake). I since made a new intake cause the RSM one was too short. I want a red one since my car is red.

so you mean 2 tell me that you spend some XX amount of hundred dollars only to change the intake and keep the silicon sleeve? Well, least i say that cuz my $$ situation right now aint that great so i guess that is a lot for me

well I had it on for a couple of months, but i decided to make a new one when the cone filter almost caught on fire after resting on the exhaust manifold. RSM didn't give me a mounting bracket to keep the cone filter up. I should of taken pics this weekend when I was home. :oops:

well I had it on for a couple of months, but i decided to make a new one when the cone filter almost caught on fire after resting on the exhaust manifold. RSM didn't give me a mounting bracket to keep the cone filter up. I should of taken pics this weekend when I was home. :oops:

RSMs warm air intake kit was that short that it actually sat on the exhaust manifold??? wow...fun thought on that one. 'my car started on fire because my intake caught on fire' :lol: ...and no, i don't secretly wish it would happen to your car per0781

I know this is a cheap set up but I made an under slung bracket out of sheet metal to hold the tube up. It's just an inch wide thin strip but you could do this in some fancier way.

If you look just to the left of the filter at the radiator hose where it turns down and left, you'll see where it comes up from under the tube and wraps around the radiator hose. On the other side you can see where it comes up just past where the ribbing starts and wraps around the smaller hose back there.

000_0123a.jpg

I made a platform for the filter with sheet metal and used a small piece of rubber sheet and some black foam padding to cushion it. Mini bungi to make sure it stays in place. Though I doubt it will move. The sheet metal is curved to match the cone filter.

ok, (noob here) so are these diameter sizes and pipe lengths critical to making a custom intake? I want to ghetto one for my 3800 but i am unsure if diameter and length were critical or not.

-thx

well your tubing diameter are going to depend on the diameter of your TB. You gonna want the longest pipe possible so the filter will draw air from the front of your car, where it is the coolest

Robby