Speakers

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a set of 6x9's out of my '89 GP that I want to put in my '90 TGP. The TGP speaker's are 10 ohm and the '89s are 4 ohm. Will it hurt to put them in?

Guest Anonymous
4 ohm? those cant be stock. no it will not hurt.

They have a sticker on the magnet that says Delco Sound, 4 ohm, and the part number. They were plug into the factory wires. But the plugs are different than the ones on my TGP.

it does make a difference if you will be amping them

No amp, just replacing blown out speakers. I put the fronts in already and they were 10 ohm.

the reason i said they cant be stock was cuz every speaker ive pulled outta any GM car ive ever had has been 10 ohm or once it was 8ohm. the 4x6 in the front of my 89 were 10. ther rears were 10 in the 89 and the rears in my 96 were 10. if i remember correctly even the rear 6x9 in the old cavalier i had were 10. the resistance shouldnt matter if the speakers are only going to be run off the head unit. as for the plugs, thats weird. i dunno why they are diff. i know in my 96 there are an extra set of plugs for the tweeters.

Guest Anonymous

I thought they would be 10 ohm also. The fronts were. Haven't looked at the door speakers yet. The TGP had all 10 ohm also. IIRC my old '89 had these same speakers in the rear. (the 4 ohm ones)

If i understand you right, you're replacing a 10ohm speaker with a 4 ohm speaker. You will more than likely fry your head unit.

An amplifier is designed to work at a specific ohm load, if you give them a higher ohm load you get less power from the amp, but if you use a lower ohm load the amp will put out more power because of less resistance. The low load causes the amp to run very hot and can fry the amp.

4 is a very common ohm load, just about everything aftermarket is 4 (subs are a different story) along with most stock systems. My cutlass had 4s, but i have a stock setup. In factory premium systems you will often get different ohm loads because the system uses more speakers and they wire them to get some funky loads on the amps.

you could use a meter to check the load at your amp from the standard setup and see how changing the speakers affects it.

how is he going to fry the head unit? like i said amplifying them is a different story, but running them straight off the deck is another. explain

The head unit has built in amplifiers. Any amplifier is set to run at a certain range of ohm loads. When you look at a deck and it says "50x4" or something like that, the deck has 4 amplifiers in it that have 50 watts peak power.

how is he going to fry the head unit? like i said amplifying them is a different story, but running them straight off the deck is another. explain

A lower ohm load means the amp will be putting more power into the speakers, possibly overloading the amp.

Since 4 ohms is 2.5x lower in resistance than 10-ohms, a 4-ohm speaker will consume 2.5x as much current for a given voltage.

This is why an amp puts out less power into speakers of higher impedance (ohms).

That said, I haven't had any problem running 4-ohm speakers where 10-ohm speakers once were.