Spark plug wires

hoodilio

what should the resistance of my wires be (roughly) when I go to replace them.... because I don't know if mine are factory, or have been changed (160k km) and I don't want to buy a new set if I don't have to...

Cheap and unknown brand might give you more of a headache. It might have a weak insulation and causes static noise and current leakage.

I've used AC delco spark plugs but they did not have a AC delco spark plug wires and instead I've used a high performance spark plug wires (it costs more than the AC delco if it was available).

With my car's engine, I have to make sure I do it once and correctly (spark plug properly gapped, etc.) because the 3 spark plugs and wires are located behind the engine and I have to rotate the engine just get to it. It is a pain but it can be done.

Guest Anonymous
Would it be bad to throw in any cheap brand of wires just as long as it meets OEM spec?

I put a cheap set on my TGP once. Mine were shot and I was broke. I wish I had never put them on.

on new plug wires, the resistance should be 20-30K ohms. When I changed my wires, the old ones (with ~90K miles on them) had 60-70K ohms resistance.

Robby

GM spec on plug wires is somewhere in the 9-13k ohms per foot of wire, so a 2 foot wire should have a resistance of 18-24k ohms. I have to agree on the cheap wires thing, they suck. I'm assuming that you have shopped at Canadian Tire? Here's some advice, don't buy those stupid Neihoff wire sets. They blow. I have had so much trouble with them. I am considering an upgrade to an all MSD ignition system.

Man! Thank you very, very much for the heads up! Good to hear from another Canadian W-Body owner! Damn, I was going to install those Niehoff spark plug wires when the time came to replace my current set. I think I'll look elsewhere now!

GM spec on plug wires is somewhere in the 9-13k ohms per foot of wire, so a 2 foot wire should have a resistance of 18-24k ohms. I have to agree on the cheap wires thing, they suck. I'm assuming that you have shopped at Canadian Tire? Here's some advice, don't buy those stupid Neihoff wire sets. They blow. I have had so much trouble with them. I am considering an upgrade to an all MSD ignition system.

I know that cheap wires are supposed to suck so maybe my car could be much better???

I've had this car for six years. Two years ago It got 6 new plugs and alt. The shop said the wire resistance was fine. I bought new wires last summer, $20 Wells silicone something brand, and installed them just on the front bank. The old ones that are at least 6 years old say "packard"

Time to do my car a nice favor? OR If it seems to run great don't sweat it?

I'm not even sure what plugs he put in. Regular old Champions probably.

Hey, my current wires say Packard as well! Perhaps this is an OEM brand?

I know that cheap wires are supposed to suck so maybe my car could be much better???

I've had this car for six years. Two years ago It got 6 new plugs and alt. The shop said the wire resistance was fine. I bought new wires last summer, $20 Wells silicone something brand, and installed them just on the front bank. The old ones that are at least 6 years old say "packard"

Time to do my car a nice favor? OR If it seems to run great don't sweat it?

I'm not even sure what plugs he put in. Regular old Champions probably.

Go to a dealer. Should cost around $40.

I paid 52 canadian for delco wires, at the dealership where I work, They didn't stock a set for the W body so I just bought a set for a grand am with the same engine, code M L82