MSD Ignition

91GranSport

I see that RSM Racing has the MSD Ignition for the W-Body. Has anyone ever tried installing the MSD Iginition on their vehicles? From what I understand it's basically like an amplifier for your spark plugs. Would this really work? Essentially giving more spark to your air/fuel mixture to increase horsepower? I think it'd work on the older vehicles with distributors and such, but with cars like ours that use ignition coils, I'm not sure whether it'd be that effective or not.

i read in another forum somewhere, maybe ClubGP.com, and saw MSD for 1st gen. w-bodies. the guy bought the MSD-4 or something and installed everything, but could not get the system to work at all. that was the last i read of it, so i can't comment anymore. i just remember he couldn't get it working correctly.

I had a msd system put in my friends prelude.

my first comment it, it's annoying, it makes a ticking sound when you drive.

second, it interfers with the stereo, ever since install...the tick comes thru the speakers.

third, greay spark, and perfect. It's made to prevent detonation.

All in all...I like it.

With that MSD DIS-4 setup, you can change your timing up to like 5 or 10 degrees I think, plus you can use it as a rev limiter, Its a bit pricey, but I think it would do a good job. And, if Im not mistaken, MSD stands for multiple spark discharge, I know with MSD for distributors, it actually fires the plug many times in one compbustion cycle, wouldnt it do the same for ours?

Robby

wait hold up you said it could change the timing by 5-10*...would that be like changing the timing to the 13* on the timing belt?? Also kickingz has it as a go between but is his functional?

Guest Anonymous
Also kickingz has it as a go between but is his functional?

I mean it mounts between the ignition module and coils. It still uses the ign. module to trigger the coils but it goes through the MSD first. He also has MSD coils I believe.

wait hold up you said it could change the timing by 5-10*...would that be like changing the timing to the 13* on the timing belt?? Also kickingz has it as a go between but is his functional?

Well, u can go to http://www.msdignition.com then go to Automotive, then go ignitions, then go to DIS Ignitions, they tell you all about it. And, no, changing the spark timing is not the same as changing your cam timing.

Robby