Disabling power antenna

supreme_style21

How do I PROPERLY disable the power to my power antenna without losing reception, of course. Mine goes up fine, but once it is time to go down, look out. Goes down 'bout half way, stops, then makes this LOUD embarassing grinding noise.. the kind of noise that makes people stop and look... So I'm going to put the thing in the UP position and cut off it's power. Or maybe someone knows how to fix it.. cheaply.

There's an electrical connector going to the power antenna. Unplug that electrical connector and then you're done. Quite simple and it should take about five minutes!

i would buy a replacement kit, its like $11.00 for a replacement that is not motorised and just sticks up off teh back of the car. I bought one for mine, messed up the little rubber piece that fits against the rear fender, and had to useone supplied with the kit for another model of car, and it ended up giving the antenna a nice raked back look that I liked.

I dont know what one costs from a junkyard, but theyre simple to replace. I just changed the one on my friend's '97 CS with one from a parts car. 10 minutes and the 'new' one was installed and working in his car (including removing it from the parts car).

It is bent ever so slightly, and the motor is designed to slip so that it does not break it off if it is iced or bent, or break the fuse. Will be impossible to straighten it out, is caused by the years of driving, it will bend toward the rear.

Unplug the power while the radio is on and all will be fine, remember to plug it back in and lower it before going through a car wash though.